How do you store preserve your toms

• 4 Replies

stompy

How do you store preserve your toms
« on: October 13, 2011, 14:36 »
How do you store/preserve your toms?

I make sauces and sun/oven dried toms.

For the sauce i put the toms through the juicer and then add a little salt and pepper, then reduce down until it begins to thicken slightly.
I then either put it in sterilsed jars or freeze it in old chinese food cartons, i use these for stews (etc) and the jars for pasta dishes.

I also dry the Roma tomatoes in the oven then store them in Kilner jars in olive oil and a couple of Bay leaves.

I cut the Roma's in half scoop out the seeds then salt them for half an hour in a coulender.
I then rince them in running water and dry them off on a tea cloth.
They then go in a very low oven for around 6 hrs and then into the jars when cool.

The first time i made them i dried them too much and although stored in oil for over 2 years they are still crispy.  :nowink:

So how do you preserve your toms?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: How do you store preserve your toms
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 14:47 »
some are frozen in ratatouille, which also uses up some courgettes ;)
some are frozen just with their skins removed, in 400g portions to replace a tin of toms in recipes,
some are bottled or frozen as various pasta sauces,
some are bottled as passata,
and the excess cherry toms (with thinner skins)  are just frozen in small portion bags to throw into winter stews and casseroles.

Tomatoes, I think are one of the most productive and cost effective things to grow.
I wouldn't be without them ;)

stompy

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 14:57 »
Tomatoes, I think are one of the most productive and cost effective things to grow.
I wouldn't be without them

I agree totally.

I think they are one of the easiest veg/fruits to grow and the yield is fab.
When you consider the effort you put in to the harvest you get i think it't one of the best crops to grow.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 15:34 »
I have loads in the kitchen being turned into a base pasta sauce etc etc.  The last lot I did I added the usual suspects plus homegrown fennel, carrots, courgettes and celery.  Froze it in batches and I can defrost when I need to.  Perfect way to use up the toms that are too ripe for salads and sarnis

I went to Wilko for a plastic sieve but they only have ones just a bit bigger than a tea strainer  :nowink:

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 16:18 »
Although we have 2 largish freezers, they're both stuffed with meat specials, bags of assorted veg, butter, cheeses, nuts, bread, bags of garden fruits - blueberries, raspberries, cherries, apples, blackberries, etc.

So, my toms must be processed in bottles and stored in our cold cellar. I first boil then run the lot through a type of passata machine on my Kitchen Aid mixer, then made into either a simple ravioli sauce or a spaghetti sauce loaded with chopped veg. All are processed in a pressure cooker due to my delicate stomach, then stored on shelves. I usually have about 25 quart jars of each type every year to meet our needs. Now you understand why I don't freeze them  :D

xx
what's best way to preserve...

Started by splodger on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post December 09, 2007, 04:36
by Trillium
xx
Pear Jam / or Preserve ???

Started by essex boy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 24, 2012, 10:53
by cheshirecheese
xx
Cherries,how do you preserve them?

Started by snowdrops on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post August 07, 2013, 18:42
by snowdrops
xx
Damson preserve

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 21:53
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 40 queries.