what's best way to preserve...

• 2 Replies

splodger

« on: December 06, 2007, 20:53 »
what's the best way to preserve onion marmalade?

i've been trialing stuff - to see what i would like to have over Christmas - and tonight i opted for fillet steak, dauph pots, lottie peas and an onion and cherry tom marmalade

i used shallots, garlic, cherry toms, balsamic vin, brown sugar and mix of butter and olive oil

i put butter and oil in pan and softened shallots - then added chopped ct's, smidge of garlic and b'v - left on lowest heat for 20 mins then added sft brown sugar - then left to reduce and thicken for another 20 mins

i must say it was delishhh - i want to make up a big batch - to use up the rest of my shallotts - as they are starting to soften - but how do i preserve?

would it just keep in jars do you think - or would it freeze (but don't want too much moisture - so maybe a semi cook)

anyone else tried keeping - it's too much of a faff for everyday - albeit worth it - it tasted devine

WG.

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 23:37 »
I don't think it is a long-term preserve so marmalade is something of a misnomer.  Might keep a month or two in the fridge.

Neither sugar nor vinegar content is high enough to preserve.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 04:36 »
Your onion marmalade can be kept long term if you put it hot into perserving jars and water bath them for around 15 minutes to seal the lids. We keep a lot of relishes and such this way in case next year is a poor yield year or don't have room to grow something.

xx
Damson preserve

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 21:53
by Madame Cholet
xx
Pear Jam / or Preserve ???

Started by essex boy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 24, 2012, 10:53
by cheshirecheese
xx
Cherries,how do you preserve them?

Started by snowdrops on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post August 07, 2013, 18:42
by snowdrops
xx
How to preserve green chillies?

Started by nitiram on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2006, 18:43
by wellingtons

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 36 queries.