Dehydrating greens

• 5 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Dehydrating greens
« on: September 20, 2015, 19:02 »
Has anyone really had a go at this?  My Mary Bell dehydrating book raves on about greens, but I must admit I was unconvinced and didn't try it for a long time.

Then last year I dried huauzontle (Aztec Broccolli) just because I had loads.  It was a great success and I've done it again this year.  It dried so crispy you can just crumble it into curries, spag sauces and soups for the last 5-10 minutes of cooking and its just like you have put cooked, chopped spinach through the dish.

This year I have a cabbage mountain and several US dehydrator sites were raving on about dried cabbage. Nothing ventured and all that, so I have a cabbage drying now.  Just slice and season to taste, no blanching required.  I used black pepper and some mixed dried provencal herbs. 

A single large plot cabbage has filled the dehydrator and mine is a beast that holds loads.  I'm interested to see what I get  :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Dehydrating greens
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 19:20 »
I tried kale crisps, and they were one of the most disgusting things I have ever eaten.

The tomatoes have been amazing, but I am yet to be convinced by crispy greens.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 21:14 »
The Phyllis Hobson book has cabbage blanched for 90-120s in water, quenched, dried and dehydrated till brittle. For the leafy greens she says to blanch till limp, quench and chop then dry till crisp.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 10:51 »
I tried kale crisps, and they were one of the most disgusting things I have ever eaten.

:lol: 

I have looked at them a few times and not been convinced.  Its the rubbing them with oil, honey and various other things that puts me off.

The cabbage has come out pretty good.  I wouldn't eat it dry out of the jar, but the Mary Bell book has a recipe for cabbage and onion, 3/4 dried then toasted in the oven.  I can see that as a snack.  It has passed the rehydration test and while I was very doubtful when I read on some sites that you can then use it for coleslaw, I am converted now  :)  It is a slightly different texture, but still crunchy and the flavour seems more concentrated.

The Phyllis Hobson book has cabbage blanched for 90-120s in water, quenched, dried and dehydrated till brittle. For the leafy greens she says to blanch till limp, quench and chop then dry till crisp.

I haven't blanched either of the greens I have done and am happy with the results, so probably won't bother with this step tbh  :)

DanielCoffey

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 17:26 »
I have not tried it myself but Phyllis Hobson advises "broccoli, Brussel sprouts, and green, leafy vegetables, fade and become strong-tasting if they are not pre-treated before drying."

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 08:10 »
I have not tried it myself but Phyllis Hobson advises "broccoli, Brussel sprouts, and green, leafy vegetables, fade and become strong-tasting if they are not pre-treated before drying."

Books on food drying can be useful, but it depends how old they are.  Even my Mary Bell book is a bit dated now having been written in the mid 90's. 

There is a whole new world out there for dehydrating, with temperature controlled, fan assisted machines, RAW food and homesteading websites to look at and YouTube channels to watch.  That's why I was asking for personal experience  :)

xx
dehydrating

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

35 Replies
Last post September 08, 2012, 18:35
by tosca100
xx
Anyone tried dehydrating mangetout?

Started by shokkyy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post August 16, 2014, 07:56
by New shoot
xx
Dehydrating food

Started by Poolfield2 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

14 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 15:20
by Poolfield2
xx
Dehydrating Machines

Started by goldendaisy123 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

22 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 09:25
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 39 queries.