Whats going in yours

• 12 Replies

stompy

Whats going in yours
« on: January 27, 2010, 10:02 »
So, what are you all thinking of growing in your greenhouses or coldframes this year.
Or what would you grow in one, if you don't have one (yet)

Im growing tomatoes (im trying something new this year thanks to a recent post. DD), cucumbers 2 different types marketmore and camilla, mellons ogen and supersweet, chillies jalepino and red thai dragon. the chillies will be in pots on the greenhouse bench  8)

Andy

spottymint

Re: Whats going in yours
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 10:16 »
Hi

I don't have a greenhouse, so try to get around the O/H to grow some chilli's.

Planning

Padron,Demon,Prairie Fire, Bishops Crown,Twilight,Jalepeno,Ancho,Fresno,Cayenne,Gold Cayenne, several Habenero-peach,yellow,white,chocolate, Dorset Naga, Brazillian Starfish & a few others (I forget) Senior Moment ! :lol:

Also spring onions, Raddish & early carrots.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 12:08 »
toms (alicante money maker and a cherry one)
Aubergine
sweet potato
olive bush
sweet peppers (4 varieties)
chillies (4 varieties)
butternut squash

Plus some salads (just in the spring, then they go outside) and the seedlings etc. Oh, and a few plants for the garden at home to keep my OH happy  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 13:06 »
Some in greenhouse and some in small polytunnel (hopefully repaired in time ::) ) :-

4 different types of toms.....about 20 plants, 2 aubergines, 2 yellow chillies (not sure of name)and 2 Pretty in purple chillies, some mixed sweet peppers, some early cobra beans in pots, 2 cues, early and late salads............plus all the seedlings as they need sowing or hardening off.
It's all abit of a juggle but well worth the effort :)

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 13:11 »
I love my greenhouse!  :blush:

stompy

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 13:15 »
Im sure it love you too aelf :lol:

Terrier

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 14:09 »
More like what I'm NOT going to grow in the GH. Last year, couldn't move for toms and chilis. So far just sown some Marmande and Costoluto. Going to start some small bush toms when I decide what variety to use. Got a few Lidl seed from last year that I'll probably sow in a few weeks. Want to grow chili again but looking for a much hotter variety and going to restrict to two or three plants (only got a 6x10 GH). Don't think I'll try sweet peppers again, they just take up too much room for the yield and I need loads of space early on for flower seedlings for the garden. Then there's all the other stuff I've forgot to mention so I probably won't be able to get into the GH yet again this year  ::)

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 15:49 »
Im sure it love you too aelf :lol:

we do spend a lot of time together  ::)

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 16:30 »
Ooh a topic I can join in on!  :D

I have 3 lean-to greenhouses as I am growing all my veg at home and these work best for me space wise:

1 largish, not permanent - in there I plan to grow my tomatoes and have a go at melons for the first time (and possibly if I'm brave enough to have a go at the sweet potato experiment some sweet potato too!  :ohmy: )

2 smaller and permanent lean-to greenhouses:
one is going to house two aubergine plants (not sure on variety - its one of those mixed packets) and two indoor cucumber plants (crystal lemon and melonie - I *think* off the top of my head). Indoor cucmbers are again new for me - grew some outdoor ones last year and got loads, they were delicious too!

In the last one I will have two chilli and two pepper plants (though several more elsewhere in pots!) Again not sure on varieties - have mixed packet of chillis too!

I do have a giant cloche thing and a small coldframe but think these will mainly be used for hardening things off and possibly growing a few things early like lettuce. I have one of those 4 tier plastic temporary greenhouses too for sowing my seeds - so I guess that makes 4 really in total?!!  :D

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 16:35 »
 :(  :(   Nothing at all this year sadly - we are moving house at the beginning of July, and then going on holiday three weeks later - talk about timing  ::)
I'm going to have to dismantle it and move it to the new house, and I'm hoping it's not going to be too difficult. Any tips on moving a greenhouse very welcome.
BUT if I was going to be growing anything it would have been tomatoes (Sungold, Golden Cherry and Gardener's Delight), red and orange peppers, chillies and cucumbers. Actually I think I am going to have to grow chillies despite the move, and ask a friend to have them while I'm away...
Rachael

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 16:45 »
I'm going to have to dismantle it and move it to the new house, and I'm hoping it's not going to be too difficult. Any tips on moving a greenhouse very welcome.

Wear thick gloves and safety goggles if you are removing glass.
accept that some panes will break
if ithe greenhouse is old and aluminium and held together with aluminium bolts, they will probably snap when you try to undo them - all big DIY sheds sell spare bolts so get some in.

Hope that helps, found all this out when I moved mine  :)

stephenprudence

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 16:50 »
Well I'm just starting out, Ive been told that potatoes are an excellent starter crop due to their positive influence on the soil so hopefully they'll be going in this year. Also since the last owners of the plot left loads of viable Rhubarb tubers lying around then these will be give a go too.

This year with all the clearing that needs doing though, this is the main focus.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 17:10 »

Wear thick gloves and safety goggles if you are removing glass.
accept that some panes will break
if ithe greenhouse is old and aluminium and held together with aluminium bolts, they will probably snap when you try to undo them - all big DIY sheds sell spare bolts so get some in.

Hope that helps, found all this out when I moved mine  :)

Thanks aelf I will bear that in mind

xx
Whats up

Started by taytors on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 01, 2013, 20:10
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
whats this ?

Started by hammers07 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 02, 2012, 10:13
by Salmo
xx
Whats best?

Started by bluelou on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 19:46
by Kristen
xx
WHATS NEXT

Started by KIM200 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 07, 2006, 11:40
by muntjac

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 37 queries.