ALLOTMENT OFFER!

• 3 Replies

goose

• Experienced Member
ALLOTMENT OFFER!
« on: January 23, 2009, 23:37 »
after growing all my veg in my plot at home for years, i have just been offered an allotment at our local site. (as if i needed any more work :lol: )

however, what should i look for in my new plot?  i think there are a few available so i may get a choice and would appreciate any tips for choosing the most suitable site.  i will grow most of my high maintenance crops (toms/salads) at home but would like to grow crops that require a lot of room but not too much care (pots/root veg/sprouts etc) at the allotment.

any suggestions? thanks.

Jozzer

ALLOTMENT OFFER!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 23:56 »
Apart from considering the type of soil, sunny situation, protection from wind etc etc. I would look for the availability, if at all available, of a water supply. Also accessibility ie can you get the car near the plot. We are fortunate on our site because we have really tall trees around the perimeter, virtually every plot gets full sun for most of the day and  when I took my plots on I had a choice of about 12 and chose 2 with a water supply in between. Since then every plot is now taken and the waiting list is growing
Every ting in Jamaica is cool

goose

• Experienced Member
ALLOTMENT OFFER!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 00:04 »
thanks, it is a huge site and i dont think many are shaded but may be susceptible to wind. im not sure about the water situation i will have to check that out. there are mini roads running around the site for vehicle access (i imagine only for drop offs etc), and there is a small carpark which is really useful.  

i wonder if anyone on here has a plot there...its near windsor, berkshire.

Carol

ALLOTMENT OFFER!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 12:32 »
Also, if you get the chance of one which already has a shed you will find that really useful, however delapidated it may be!  I was lucky enough to get a plot with 2 (leaky) sheds, complete with contents of watering cans, push mower, loads of pots, shelving and chairs, where the previous owner had simply given up and left everything there.

Keep an eye out for any large trees nearby which may cast shade.  

When I took on mine, only a year ago, one corner was shaded by a large conifer in an adjoining garden.  Since then the damn thing has shot up even more and now shades about a third of the plot.  It's not so bad in summer, as the sun is higher.
Carol - aiming for organicness.

xx
Seeds on offer

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 14:37
by gowing238
xx
T & M Special Offer

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post December 20, 2006, 09:49
by John
xx
Potato offer

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 20:08
by mumofstig
xx
Jacks Magic offer

Started by Steveharford on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 03, 2015, 14:42
by RJR_38

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 28 queries.