tomato tolerance for cold weather

• 12 Replies

spuriousmonkey

• tomatosilo
tomato tolerance for cold weather
« on: June 19, 2014, 08:02 »
During the last week it has been horrible weather in finland.

I live in the south in Helsinki, but the night temperatures have been just torture for your average tomato hobbyist.

My thermometer in the greenhouse has shown the following night temperatures so far in the last 3 nights:

4 - 3.9 -  6 degrees centrigrade. Day temperature did not rise much above 10C.

Tonight the forecast shows 8 degrees centrigrade for the night. Day temperatures are now closer to 15C.

I have moved everything in pots inside: 62 big plants (also includes chillies, peppers and aubergines). Some already close to 1.5m tall. (i can't do anyting any more in my living room: no room left).

I built a fleece protection around my tomatoes outside on my allotment. I have 25 plants there. They range in size from 30 cm to well over a meter in height. Most are already flowering and a quarter of them have tomatoes growing.

My questions (finally).

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of weather and tomatoes? Can they recover from this kind of weather? I always assumed that they need at least 10 degrees centrigrade as minimum temperature.

Or can I basically give up on them and transport some of my plants at home to my allotment once the weather picks up? Or in other words, how quickly can you notice whether tomato plants have suffered irreversible damage from cold weather? We are not talking seedlings here. Most of the plants are pretty developed already.

The cold weather came a bit unexpected. Previously it has been  20-25 degrees centrigrade during the day. I guess it shows you just can't trust the weather.

But I could be worse. A bit further north it snowed. ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: tomato tolerance for cold weather
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 08:37 »
The plants turn blue/purple if they get too cold and rarely recover  :(

Good luck with your plants.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 08:38 »
A minimum temperature of 10C is only a rule of thumb for tomatoes and many other tender crops - whether they survive lower temperatures than that depends on how much lower, for how long, how mature and healthy the plants are, and also the temperature patterns when it does rise above 10C (huge variations between day and night temperatures will stress them even if they don't drop below 10C.)

A bad sign is if the tomato leaves literally turn blue with cold - they will really struggle to recover from that.

I don't select varieties for cold-hardiness, but there are plenty (many of Russian origin) which are short-season types, although that doesn't mean they will withstand really cold conditions of course.

A US site HERE with a few suggestions.

Hope yours recover OK - that's a lot of plants you've got there!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

spuriousmonkey

• tomatosilo
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 09:52 »
I have a lot of Russian varieties actually.

I stopped growing long-season tomatoes alltogether! Doesn't work in Finland. No afterseason at all. And the more tender ones I keep in my greenhouse and on my terras with (plastic) roof.

So far no plants changed colour.

I have so many plants because tomatoes have become somewhat of an obsession. Last year was already bad with 50 plants. This year I even had less self control. i think I have 14 or 15 varieties at the moment. I am testing what works best for this climate. Maybe this extreme weather (although actually the weather is still within normal variation range) will prove to be a good means of testing what grows in the bad summers.

3759allen

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 09:56 »
i think a lot of us have a few scary moments with temperatures at the beginning of the season.

personally i think you'll get away with it, it's only been a couple of nights below 5 degrees and the lower daytime temperatures will help. i think it's the swing of low to high temperature and back again that does the damage.

fingers crossed.

spuriousmonkey

• tomatosilo
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 09:48 »
Last night: 2.8 degrees centrigrade in the greenhouse. Lowest temperature so far in June.

Weather has been bad since last post and the long term forecast doesn't show much improvement.

It's a logistical nightmare. My potted tomatoes should go on strings now. They are getting way too long for sticks. The tallest one is already sticking 30cm above its stick.

Every morning and evening I have to move 60 large pots with big plants in and out.

I have given up on my plants on the allotment to be honest. If they survive that would be nice. But I am not very hopeful.

I guess I am a bit frustrated because this was my best planned year. Everything was going smoothly.

Except the weather.

My other problem is that there is not much of growing season left. August can be really tricky. Usually in the second half of august the autumn weather returns. So that leaves me with 2 months of growing season.

Sorry for the negative post but it is just really frustrating, especially since I am originally dutch and I am familiar with the weather patterns in holland. It would be so much easier to grow tomatoes there.

I will just keep moving my pots in and out of the house, and move some of these plants to the allotment when the weather improves.

I actually wonder if I should top the largest plants and let a side shoot take over as the main growing stem. Soon it will be problematic to get everything through the door. And my supporting sticks are getting too short.

Anyone have any experience with something like that?

Maybe next week things will improve. Who knows. Sometimes the weather predictions are unreliable.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 10:08 »
That really is so disheartening  :(

I don't have any helpful suggestions but just thought I'd sympathise.

Headgardener22

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 13:36 »
The simple answer is obviously that you need to heat the area where you are growing your tomatoes overnight. Have you thought about ADRI123's idea of putting butts of water that would heat up during the day and give you some warmth at night?

Other than that, I can only sympathise and point you at tatianas tomatobase which I think you already use to find some short season tomatoes.

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 18:53 »
Spuriousmonkey, I highly recommend a forum called Homegrown Goodness and specifically a poster called Joseph Lofthouse. His season sounds not dissimilar to yours, long winters and brutal but quick summers.

This thread may be worth a read:
http://alanbishop.proboards.com/thread/6988/tolerant-tomatoes-right-josephs-alley

Snoop

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 20:17 »
I've had tomato plants survive very cold nights below 5 ºC, but they've always been much smaller than yours.

Towards the end of the season, we have had an occasional very cold spell lasting maybe two or three nights with a light frost maybe three or four weeks before our usual first frost date. The plants seem to die but then revive. The tomatoes ripen but new leaves also develop on the existing stems. This has happened in three separate years, so it would not seem to be a freak set of tomato plants one particular year. So, you might be lucky...

spuriousmonkey

• tomatosilo
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 06:20 »
This is all very interesting.

Maybe I should just see it all as an experiment and see if there are any varieties that pop up as more cold resistant. I have plenty of Russian varieties out there on the allotment that are meant for growing outside in colder climates. Ironically this is the first year I didn't grow subarctic plenty. Maybe this would have been finally the year it could shine.

The weather forecast shows that temperatures should go back to normal at the end of the week.

Maybe there is an end in sight.

I guess I was lulled into a false sense of security with the temperatures the past few years. That's because last year it was 5 degrees above normal average in june. The previous years were also warm, but this year it is 5 degrees below average!

Next year I will actually start planting most of my tomatoes much later. I have one variety that I planted two months after the first ones. The plant is actually similar in size right now than all the other plants. The only difference is that the earliest plants have more flowers and that many of them have already fruits.

I will seed a few plants early, but most later. It will cut down on the logistic nightmare. I will still have early tomatoes, but with less work. A compromise.

If the weather clears up at the end of the week, I will move 10 to 15 of my potted plants to my allotment. I won't pull out the existing tomatoes unless they are obviously dead. You all made me curious. I want to see how they cope with this kind of weather stress. I still have plenty of space left on my allotment.

And next year I am going back to 50 plants. It's just that I had the typical rush of "get as many varieties as you can" madness during the winter.

I guess as long as you learn from your experience it is not a wasted experience.

The other thing i learned from this experience was to realize how fragile the life of a farmer must have been, and still is. Some years things just don't grow. And if it is your livelyhood than I can sincerly empathize with your feelings.

3759allen

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 08:46 »
is this a usual weather pattern, having a short summer and low spring temp's?

if so it may be worth investing in a heating system, and some sort of bubble wrap cover/ curtains to decrease the area being heated at night.

it would obviously affect the cost effectiveness of growing compare to buying from shops.

spuriousmonkey

• tomatosilo
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 17:53 »
I had a quick look today at the allotment how the tomatoes are doing.

The once I had protected seemed to look still ok. I was actually surprised to see how well they still looked.   :) The ones without any protection looked pretty miserable (only 3 small plants).

It's still early day to say they will make it through, but maybe some of them at will.

If all is fine the weather should get better in a week's time. Fingers crossed.

xx
How cold does it need to be to kill tomato plants

Started by patoncastle on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 02, 2014, 22:28
by Beetroot Queen
xx
cold weather and sweetcorn

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 24, 2014, 15:27
by beesrus
xx
More frosts and cold weather due

Started by green fingers on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 09:35
by Plottered
exclamation
who loved the cold weather?

Started by Bing on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 06, 2013, 10:42
by PembsPanther

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 38 queries.