Peas and Beans

• 15 Replies

Bluedave

• Experienced Member
Peas and Beans
« on: April 25, 2012, 12:54 »
I usually sow these directly around this time - are there any issues with planting them in trays in the greenhouse a bit earlier? Any problems moving them out later etc.?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Peas and Beans
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 13:02 »
Peas in trays - you can, but a lot of folk don't take into account just how many plants you need to make a row. (12 per foot).

Beans - again you can, but a lot are caught out by having plants ready before the weather is.

Peas will stand a bit of frost. Beans won't.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Bluedave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 13:09 »
thanks DD - just thought I'd try and get a head start in future years - sounds like a hassle though! I'll just contiune to plant out this time of year then.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 14:39 »

The word 'early' made me chuckle.  Mine have been planted in the guttering,  come up and are now out in the ground (getting more water than they need)  ::).     Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 14:42 »
12 plants per foot???? Blimey I never realised I'd need that many! Good job I've sowed some indoors too then because I've only ended up with a couple of shoots per foot with my direct sowed peas.

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
    • http://alandkell.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 14:46 »
Peas in trays - you can, but a lot of folk don't take into account just how many plants you need to make a row. (12 per foot).

Beans - again you can, but a lot are caught out by having plants ready before the weather is.

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :blink: 12 per foot so thats 48 to a 4ft bed  :blink: :ohmy: better get planting only done enough for a foot!!! :wub: :wub:
Little Robin Readbreast
Sat upon a rail.
Niddle, naddle went his head;
Wiggle, waggle went his tail.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 14:51 »
i used to sow in trays and i guess to a point it will help germination if they're in a warm place with succession growing but i decided to sow direct the lot. dig a trench 3 cm below roughly throw in peas, cover, water and they will pop out after some time. just keep them covered with netting. not sure about beans, never grew them.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 15:33 »

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :blink: 12 per foot so thats 48 to a 4ft bed  :blink: :ohmy: better get planting only done enough for a foot!!! :wub: :wub:

Case in point!!!

I'll repeat it again. Recommended pea spacing:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 15:41 »

The word 'early' made me chuckle.  

me too! Mine are about 6inches tall and also drowning, but coping so far  ::)  :D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 15:46 by mumofstig »

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
    • http://alandkell.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 15:44 »

Case in point!!!

I'll repeat it again. Recommended pea spacing:

ok gunna keep this in mind nice one thanks! just been and planted a load more in the hopes they will catch up a bit!

irot

• Oishi Bakery
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 20:05 »
12 per foot! *scurries off to plant some more*

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 20:27 »

This made me laugh, my mother inlaw has started allotment gardening this year and sown about 10 pea's hahahaha i have since put her on the right track and sown the whole packet of seed.
Thanks
Kris

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 20:46 »
We're growing peas in paper pots this year. (clobbered last year by weevil).

They're going to bed in couples (very ecclesiastical) in 1.5" paper pots, (which fit neatly, 18 into a blue 'Walls' ice cream box), and the first lot went in the ground outside about three weeks ago, under cloches, as it was a bit strenuous out there at the time.

The next batch (identical), will go in about ten days time, and we have to do two - possibly three, more 18 pot boxes after that.

The idea is that out of all those seedlings, no matter what the weather or conditions, we'll get enough peas in gradual succession for either eating immediately, or freezing if they start a glut.

We're also bunging slug pellets about, and making sure that the pidgeons don't swarm down, as they like the odd pea leaf...

Netting is the answer.

Totty

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 21:04 »
Not too sure if i would risk sowing beans direct yet. Would sow them indoors at the moment for sure

Willow_Warren

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 14:05 »

The word 'early' made me chuckle.  

me too! Mine are about 6inches tall and also drowning, but coping so far  ::)  :D

I only planted 20 seeds, only 15 of which have germinated!  There was only 50 seeds in the packet, but I better get them in some soil!

::)

xx
Peas and Beans

Started by mebanana on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 20:09
by Yorkie
xx
Following on from peas and beans

Started by Elm street on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 10, 2015, 12:34
by Elm street
xx
Beans and peas

Started by juliec on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 12:29
by juliec
xx
Peas and Beans

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 21, 2010, 23:45
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.399 seconds with 38 queries.