Beans and peas

• 2 Replies

Anton

Beans and peas
« on: October 05, 2011, 13:57 »
I looked over on the Titmarsh site and he said for October: Sow peas and beans now for cropping in May or early June next year. Sow direct into the soil and protect with cloches through the winter, or sow in deep trays such as Rootrainers, sweet pea pots or recycled cardboard tubes and overwinter in an unheated greenhouse.
Any special beans and peas, do think  and will they really keep over winter. If I were to put them in pots wouldn't they start sprouting (could I keep them in a garden shed). Otherwise, when would I put them in the ground?

By the way, I bought the New Titmarsh allotment book. A bit of a disappointment, lots of glossy photos (my 30-year-old book just has a few drawings) and not as informative about the plots. On the plus side, the introductory part is a lot more informative about the preparation side of things.

Anton

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
Re: Beans and peas
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 14:06 »
I tried this a couple of years ago with peas and nothing came up (or, if it did, the slugs/mice got them). Broad beans can go in now but there is much debate over whether it's worth planting now or waiting til the spring.

I do mine in the spring  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Beans and peas
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 15:06 »
I agree with aelf........Quite a few people have success with overwintered broad beans, planted in the soil with no protection, peas seem less succesful :( It's easiest to sow them in spring :)

xx
Peas and Beans

Started by mebanana on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 20:09
by Yorkie
xx
Beans and peas

Started by juliec on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 12:29
by juliec
xx
Peas and Beans

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 21, 2010, 23:45
by Paul Plots
xx
Beans and Peas

Started by greenockian on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 21:22
by DavidT

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 38 queries.