Peas and Beans

• 10 Replies

Glyn

Peas and Beans
« on: November 13, 2008, 10:55 »
i am getting a bed ready(10foot by 15foot) to plant some Beans and peas in, was going to plant some French beans, Belotti beans, broad beans and some peas. But this may seem a silly question but which way do i put the rows A-B or C-D, and will they grow ok like this.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Peas and Beans
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 11:37 »
I have no choice with mine as my plot runs east to west so my rows go north  to south. Never had a problem. In summer the sun has a wide arc.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Peas and Beans
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 14:08 »
As Aidy says, the sun does tend to move a bit during the day, but given that the arrow shows the predominant direction, I'd go from A to B, that way the rows won't shade anything.

In practice it's probably not going to make a scrap of difference!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Salmo

Peas and Beans
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 20:47 »
The rows should go North to South so that both sides of the rows get sun so probably A to B.

No need for a formal path but I would be tempted to put a path halfway C to D. This would give you two plots 10 X 71/2. Rows 71/2 ft long will be possible to hoe without walking on them. Several short rows of one crop together are better than one long one because the neighbouring different crops do not compete or interfere so much.

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Peas and Beans
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 12:42 »
If the sun is moving east to west as shown in the diagram then the rows should go C-D i.e. north to south.

DD.

• Global Moderator
Peas and Beans
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 16:17 »
You may be right, I read the diagram as the arrow showing the predominant direction from where the sun is shining, not how it's moving.

Think we'd better have this one cleared up! My rows run north/south, but that's the way the allotment is!

Glyn

Peas and Beans
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 16:55 »
My mistake the top of the diagram is north so i do think it would be best c-d. thanks for the replies

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Peas and Beans
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 17:07 »
Ive got to be honest, Ive never planted anything for the direction it should face..but then again my plot is fully open with the sun on it all day, so Ive never had to think about it!

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

DD.

• Global Moderator
Peas and Beans
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 17:24 »
I don't think it'll make a blind bit of difference at the end of the day, unless heavily shaded by trees etc.

Runnerbean

Peas and Beans
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 20:02 »
I don't worry about which direction i plant my rows, any sun we had this year would have been a shock to the plants anyway!!!! :x  :x  :x  :x  :x
Finally got the space, now just nead the girls!!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Peas and Beans
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 21:13 »
Quote from: "Runnerbean"
I don't worry about which direction i plant my rows, any sun we had this year would have been a shock to the plants anyway!!!! :x  :x  :x  :x  :x

and to the gardeners too!

Paula

xx
Peas and Beans

Started by Bluedave on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 15:58
by Schubunny
xx
Beans and peas

Started by juliec on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 12:29
by juliec
xx
Peas and Beans

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 21, 2010, 23:45
by Paul Plots
xx
Beans and Peas

Started by greenockian on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 21:22
by DavidT

Page created in 0.532 seconds with 33 queries.