When will they get the idea?

• 10 Replies

sunshinemedic

« on: October 31, 2008, 22:45 »
Of my 3 chooks, only one spontaneously started roosting. After waiting a couple of months, I decided to try placing the remaining 2 onto the perch at night.
They seem happy enough to spend the night on the perch but still climb into the nest boxes till I move them, even after a week of my attempts at 'training'. So what do you think? How long should I keep trying? Am I missing a trick?

Vember

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 06:02 »
Hi Sunshine

Are you able to block the nestboxes off just before bedtime?
I'd keep trying they should get the hang of it :?
Although I have a couple that don't  :roll:  Just a case of keep cleaning the poop out :D

Sarah :)

henpecked

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 11:11 »
I think they know you'll do it for them...lazy things!

Definitely give blocking the nest boxes a try...and whatever they go on next, they'll work it out eventually.

henpecked

sunshinemedic

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 15:29 »
Quote from: "henpecked"
I think they know you'll do it for them...lazy things!

That's what I'm worried about. I notice they are beginning to think it is part of their night time routine!  :roll:

I'll try blocking the nest boxes over the weekend but they are taking themselves to 'bed' before I get home now so that may be a bit tricky during the week.

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 18:29 »
it's not the end of the world to let them have the nestboxes to sleep in. it must be warmer too. as for creepy-crawlies if you clean them out regularly then that'll keep them at bay. i can't say i'm too fussed about where they sleep now as long as they're safe.

smiler43

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 18:38 »
Hi, one of my girls sometimes goes in the nest box, we just check every night when we shut them in and if she's in the box just move her to the perch.  After a few nights she gets the message, but then after a few more weeks she tries it again!!!  Just keep moving her :o)

violet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 16:09 »
Having a bit of a concern about a cube being big enough for 10 hens to sleep in..2 big girls and 8 bantams I really should not have wasted my time.....some nights four or five of them are snuggled up in the nest box with one between the nest box and the bars ...the other four or five sleep huddled closely together on one of the bars :roll:

Of course it is then a free for all ball of feathers as they all try to come rushing out together!

desandchez

STAIR LIFT
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 16:51 »
WE HAD THE SAME TROUBLE WITH OUR GIRLS, TRYED BLOCKING THE BOXES, MOVED THE PERCHES EVENTUALY I BUILT A RAMP AND NOW THEY ALL GO TO ROOST  :lol:

mumsy

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 20:01 »
I can't understand why you don't just let them sleep where they want too!!!  All it means is taking the poo out of the nest box in the mornings to keep the eggs clean :wink:

sunshinemedic

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 21:05 »
Still trying with my 2. Looks like Ali the Columbine has difficulty getting up to the perch on her own and Liz the Calder Ranger is staying to keep her sister company. Maybe I'll sort out a ramp or some kind of a step. Natasha the White Star is more of a bossy loner so is quite happy alone on the perch if I don't intervene.

The coop is so much cleaner when they are all on the perch at nights and they all seem quite happy when they are all up there so I'll keep plugging away...

sunshinemedic

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 17:22 »
Well 6 weeks later and they finally get the idea! I had to make a ramp and keep pestering them but they are now perching at night on their own.. phew!
I thought they'd be sorted in a couple of weeks but we got there in the end  :roll:

xx
Just an idea so far

Started by friend on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 19:09
by evie2
xx
any idea what it could be

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 17:12
by karlooben
xx
Any idea

Started by Country Bill on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 05, 2008, 18:19
by slowef
xx
Just an idea

Started by amj on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 11, 2010, 18:01
by amj

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 29 queries.