Rasberries

• 9 Replies

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
Rasberries
« on: March 13, 2010, 17:28 »
Thanks to lottieluv on swap shop I know have 4 nice rasberry plants, does anybody have any hints or tips about getting a crop this year, i.e nettingt etc.   Also I didnt soak the roots before I planted them, will they be okay?  :unsure:
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

richie370

Re: Rasberries
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 19:59 »
i cant believe i paid for raspberry and blackberry canes this year........to think 20yrs ago how many people were trying so hard to get rid of them from gardens and wild hedge rows

same with rhubarb used to be everywhere......i planted from seed last october and they survived the snow ....4 seeds to a pot and a total of 20 pots no idea where im going to plant them  :nowink:

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 21:19 »
Are you thinking of starting a rhubarb farm Richie :)
Can't help on the raspberries though Jamie, mine were well established when I got the new plot so haven't needed to learn much about them apart from pruning
I'm banned for being obnoxious (not pompous as you might have thought)

richie370

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 21:41 »
wish i had the land for a rhubarb farm lol....you seen the price they sellling it at in  the grocers ....or ok  if like my town A**A  :dry:

wont get anything from these for another year from what im told but if you know anyone wants some let me know  :D

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 21:50 »
Looks like Lottiegob could do with some on " what happened to my rhubarb post" :),
Hey there's us going on about rhubarb, this post's supposed to be about raspberries, sorry Jamie :)

richie370

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 21:53 »
oops fair comment,,, apologies   :)

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 00:08 »
Jamie, if your raspberries are everbearers, clip the plants to about 6" from the ground and they'll crop nicely in later summer. If they're summer bearing, you'll have to wait another year or two.

Otherwise, since they'll be there for many years, prep the soil the best you can with manure, compost, BFB, etc and weed well. I water the planting holes well first, then plant. Mulch helps keep moisture in. When you see cropping coming, net as the birds are faster than you  >:(

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 12:02 »
Thanks Trillium, do I need to cover them at night to stop frost getting to them?

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 16:18 »
No need. Raspberries, along with garlic and rhubarb, are the proverbial old boots tough  :D

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 16:42 »
I have just bought 3 raspberry canes - Glen Clover anyone grown these ? I have my fruit and veg plot in my garden. I have a red currant and a blackcurrent bush planted in the flower bed nearest to my veg area. Many years ago we struggled to get rid of a huge area which was overun with blackberry brambles.

I want to grow raspberries but don't want to risk being overun again. So I am clearly not going to plant them in the flower bed. I am wondering if I made a raised bed for them would they be more self contained.

What kind of support do they need or makes them easy to manage/pick fruit from. I am not going to be growing many I mught get another 3 canes of a diferent variety perhaps.

xx
Rasberries

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 21:30
by Kristen
xx
Rasberries!!

Started by Katt on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 14, 2006, 09:22
by John
xx
RASBERRIES HELP

Started by KIM200 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2006, 18:54
by noshed
xx
rasberries

Started by oldtimer on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 03, 2007, 18:35
by DD.

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 33 queries.