Paraffin heaters question

• 22 Replies

wellingtons

Erm ... I've had ...
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 11:59 »
... one for years and recently had to buy a new one as the old one went completely round the pipe.  I flambeed my baby tomato plants.

But to answer the original question, no they don't affect the taste of the fruits and veg.

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 14:54 »
important point about not having the flame too high, i did that last year and left it and nearly burnt my shed down  :oops:  the inside of the shed (perspex roof) was as black as black can be soot type stuff everywhere.  I didn't do that again.  Don't be tempted to turn it up too high thinking it will keep it warmer, if it smokes then generally it is too high.

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 16:40 »
Getting the hang of it now.  If the flame is too high it smokes, if it's too low it goes out. :roll:

Salad stuff and pak choi is germinating well, so heres to fresh salad in winter.
Cheese makes everything better.

Elcie

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 20:29 »
Quote from: "Ice"
Getting the hang of it now.  If the flame is too high it smokes, if it's too low it goes out. :roll:

Salad stuff and pak choi is germinating well, so heres to fresh salad in winter.

I saw one of these heaters ini B&Q looked quite cheap - are they worth it to run?  Does it stay on 24/7?  How much do they cost to run?  Are they dangerous?  Qs Qs Qs  :D

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 20:54 »
I got mine from Argos for £20.99.  Filled it on monday at five pm and have had it on continuously to see how long one fill will last.

It has kept my greenhouse at 20 to 25C during the day which is what I want to germinate certain seeds.  But I might need another when it gets colder.

It seems safe enough provided it has a solid base to sit on and is not too near plants or a flammable object.  Was a bit paranoid about leaving it on overnight at first but am worrying less now.  It won't burn my house down but it might burn down my neighbours shed. :lol:

Elcie

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 21:12 »
Thanks for that ICE.  Not sure I would be able to get over the worry of a parrafin heater but may consider it next year once I have had a season in the greenhouse - might not want it to ever end once it gets started!!

lincspoacher

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 21:15 »
Quote from: "Elcie"
Quote from: "Ice"
 Are they dangerous?  Qs Qs Qs  :D

depends what you do with them.  Using it as a hot water bottle might be dodgy..........
 :lol:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 21:18 »
Quote from: "Elcie"
Thanks for that ICE.  Not sure I would be able to get over the worry of a parrafin heater but may consider it next year once I have had a season in the greenhouse - might not want it to ever end once it gets started!!
This is my second season with a greenhouse and have really got the bug and am planning to get another soon.

xx
Paraffin heaters

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 10, 2007, 22:22
by muntjac
question
Paraffin greenhouse heaters

Started by White on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 19:47
by White
xx
Paraffin heaters for the greenhouse on my plot

Started by corynsboy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 17, 2008, 13:42
by Aidy
xx
Parafin heaters

Started by SpudtheBinx on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 07, 2009, 20:36
by pushrod

Page created in 0.498 seconds with 33 queries.