Help with First Ever Wine kit

• 2 Replies

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
Help with First Ever Wine kit
« on: October 03, 2013, 13:09 »
Good afternoon!  My first ever wine kit arrived today.  I have all the equipment I need but need some advice before I start, please! 
I have bought a cellar 7 kit as recommended by another forum member. Went for the Cabernet Sauvignon in the end as that had good reviews on the website I ordered from.  Anyway, daft question number 1 is - is it best to let the water and concentrate mixture sit for a bit in the fv before adding the yeast? To let it settle at room temp?  I think someone posted this info before, but may have imagined it.
Daft question number 2 - can I wash and sterilize the great big plastic bottle the grape juice concentrate comes in to store some of the wine in when the time comes to bottle it?

I need to get this right as I have forgone a trip to majestic and used the dosh to by the kit and equipment instead.  Otherwise no wine for me, and that won't do at all!!!! Many thanks! 

VegGirl7

• Experienced Member
    • allotmentforaginghomebrewadventures
Re: Help with First Ever Wine kit
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 18:46 »
Hi, I'm no expert and haven't done a wine kit in years (usually make wines with fruit/veg) but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!

do you heat some of the water/concentrate to dissolve the sugar? - if so, I'd wait for the mix to cool a bit before adding the yeast - I believe too high a temperature can kill the yeast.  To err on the side of caution, it won't harm it to leave the mix for a couple of hours to get to room temp so long as it's covered so no beasties can get in  ;)

I haven't used the cellar7 kits so not sure what the plastic bottle is like, but if it's air tight and sterilized I can't think of a reason why you couldn't use it.  I don't think it's best to store wine in plastic or screw cap bottles, but from the sounds of it it'll not be 'stored' very long  :D

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Help with First Ever Wine kit
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 19:36 »
Thank you VegGirl!  I am going to start my kit tomorrow.  Think I will mix up the juice and water (you don't boil anything - just mix the grape juice with lukewarm water) and let it sit for a bit before adding the yeast.  I was thinking along the lines of filling the plastic container (its a big 5 litre-ish size) and drinking that first.  You're right it won't last long!  I will, of course, be storing some in bottles for a later date maybe sometime in December  ;)

xx
How can i make my wine sweeter - and I need half size bottles for wine.

Started by composthappens on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 23:39
by Jackypam
xx
wine?

Started by asd1 on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post February 06, 2011, 21:03
by Silkworm
xx
Fig wine

Started by sloworm on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post August 28, 2010, 19:50
by sloworm
xx
Best wine

Started by Oakdalebirds1 on Homebrew

13 Replies
Last post July 26, 2013, 12:44
by Jake

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 38 queries.