Time to split snowdrops?

• 24 Replies

Hampshire Hog

Time to split snowdrops?
« on: March 18, 2015, 13:42 »
Hi all saw some snowdrops being sold in pots yesterday at £1 for one snowdrop!!
Decided it must be time to split the clumps in my garden.
Just dug up 3 clumps and planted 40 new groups of 5-10 bulbs.
Realise I have planted upwards of £200 worth of bulbs at no cost!!

Cheers HH
Keep digging

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Time to split snowdrops?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 13:46 »
Yes, I bought some on eBay and planted them in my lawn - but they weren't that expensive  :ohmy:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 13:51 »
Yes, now is a good time. However, I can see that the thought of it may bring a tear to one of our member's eyes!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 13:53 »
I paid £70 / 1,000 for mine (gone up a bit since, but not much) from
www.eurobulbs.co.uk

Starting to clump up nicely now (3 years on) :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 14:38 »
A pound each for the common snowdrop is excessive! :ohmy:

There are many places you can buy them by the 100 in the green.

I do buy special named snowdrops for my collection but I restrict myself to £30 per bulb.

And I have most of the ones that I really wanted now. They are bulking up nicely and are getting split this year.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 14:54 »
I do buy special named snowdrops for my collection but I restrict myself to £30 per bulb.

That's a bottomless-pit game!

I've got some too, but the novelty has worn off (and I thought I had only bought ones that were particularly different / interesting ...) ... notwithstanding that I still have a few on my Must Have list - haven't bought any thing year though, for the first time in a few ...

Each June I try to persuade myself that I brave enough to twin-scale mine to bulk them up faster ...

... mind you, if I did it this year, rather than previous years, I reckon I would find that each pot has several in it, so I could risk all-bar-one of the bulbs of each variety :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 18:05 »
You are dead right about the bottomless pit game.

I try to get ones that are really special, like blewbury tart, trymm and the yellow ones. and the really fat ones like Diggory, Augustus and Marjorie Broughton.

I didn't get any last year but got a few this year. I think I now have all the ones I really want.

The most wonderful addition to my collection was Trymm and Yellow Trymm.  And I was given them free by a wonderful gardener at a house we were visiting. Just got chatting to him about the snowdrops in the garden and told him about my collection. It turned out he was a collector too and gave me  two pots of snowdrops. I nearly kissed him.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 18:39 »
Reads like my Got / Wish List too :)

I would like some more that have markings on the outer petals - can't remember the name off hand, but the markings are vertical stripes rather than solid colour (which I think Trym has?)

I think most?? of mine are on my blog

Not sure which, if any, have bulked up enough for spares, but if you see anything you fancy let me know and I'll have a look.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 19:23 by Kristen »

Mrs Bee

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 19:13 »
I have just been perusing your projects. Wow. What a huge amount of land. It all looks wonderful and I am trying not to be too jealous. :D

Are the hands holding the snowdrops in the pictures yours? They look exactly like mine. :lol: :lol:

If you were to have any spares of Greenbrush, Lapwing, Sandersii or the Unknown yellow I would love to do swaps if I have anything you might like.

I have Elfin, Blonde Inge, Trym and Yellow Trym that have all bulked up enough to swap. I am planning to split them in the next few days as well as find somewhere to plant the mulberry tree that arrived this week.

I will have a look to see if I have any others. I may have some of the Autumn flowering ones too.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 19:22 »
Are the hands holding the snowdrops in the pictures yours? They look exactly like mine.

Gardening gloves never worn here!

If you were to have any spares of Greenbrush, Lapwing, Sandersii or the Unknown yellow I would love to do swaps if I have anything you might like.

I'll have a look and see if any of them have made enough babies.

(I've updated the page, no more photos but including the names of some that I have bought that had not made it to the page with a photo as yet ... and a Wishlist which is now hopelessly out of date and could do with review as some of them look to be things I initially settled on and then later found that some of them are not Good Do'ers ...)

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 22:41 »
Yes, now is a good time. However, I can see that the thought of it may bring a tear to one of our member's eyes!

moi?  :)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Mrs Bee

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 09:11 »
Gardening gloves never worn here either. :lol:

I know what you mean about some snowdrops not being good doers. Some of mine look a bit sad and when I loose one it really annoys.

I have been waiting to split the snowdrops as I have been waiting for himself to build their new home and I am going out there this morning when I have finished the bread,(never a good idea to make bread in between gardening), to split and replant.

I get plant  pots and cut the bottom out of them, then dig a hole and put the bottomless pot into it.
I then fill it with a mixture of John Innes 3, grit and blood, bone and fish and replant the bulbs. Then I top with some coloured gravel and chilli powder to try and deter the ******* foxes from digging them up to get to the blood bone and fish. :mad: :mad:

I am sure you do know, but in case you don't, have you checked out/signed up to Avon bulbs for their snowdrop lists, they have a good long list of specials, and have some left if you give them a call. I think Pompom and pearldrop were some of them. Also North Green sell specials too.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 12:17 »
Thanks - I do get the Avon Lady's emails :)  I looked at Trym, but the others I didn't think were that exciting so I No-Bid ...

I know of folk planting cherished Snowdrop bulbs in pond plant baskets (plunged into the ground) so that water / nutrients etc. readily available, but the basket can be dug up and make it easy to ensure that all of that variety are "together".

Mine are in tall Clematis / "Long Tom" pots, and against a North facing wall where they are abandoned for the Summer. I ought to put some fine mesh over them, when the foliage dies down to keep the predators out ...

Flowertot

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 22:38 »
Sorry if this is a silly question but how best should I split snowdrops?  :blush:  I've never had any before but last year moved house and the garden has several big clumps which appear to have been there forever.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 22:49 »
Dig them up, split into smaller clumps, replant some in the old places and the rest in new places.  :)

xx
Can I split Begonias

Started by chrisnchris on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 31, 2011, 09:12
by chrisnchris
xx
How to split this plant.

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post September 11, 2019, 18:05
by mrs bouquet
xx
Tulip bulbs split into four? something wrong?

Started by LivvyW on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 07:48
by sunshineband
xx
Crack willow split and branches falling

Started by veggirl on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 09:08
by joyfull

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 40 queries.