Is anyone lucky enough to have a..........

• 10 Replies

fatbelly

Is anyone lucky enough to have a..........
« on: September 08, 2010, 16:44 »
big back garden. I love my plot and try to get to it two or three times a week.
But I would love to have a really big back garden which I could wander into each evening and at the weekend.

So is anyone lucky enough to have a really big back garden and what do you think about it?

A friend of mine has a big garden and a lottie and says he enjoys the lottie far more because he likes the social side of plotting.

99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Goosegirl

Re: Is anyone lucky enough to have a..........
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 16:59 »
Yes - I am lucky enough to have a big back garden. It is part of 1 acre of field that we bought several years ago and use most of it for sheep, hens and geese, but I have a veg garden with raised beds. It's wonderful - no nearby neighbours (they are lovely people anyway) BUT - you have to be prepared for lots more work. It has taken some time to get the heavy soil in good condition as it was a field before, and weeds fly in from everywhere. Each year you have different sucesses and failures. Depending on your age, vitality and how many pairs of hands will be helping, I would advise taking on just a bit less than you think you can cope with.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

RichardA

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 16:59 »
I have an acre of garden at home but have never taken on an allotment and whilst I love the peace and security of my own plot plus easy access to power and water etc I do wonder sometimes if having an allotment would have had social and perhaps learning potential benefits.
R

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 17:12 »
We have a big garden, can't call it a back garden as it goes all around the house. We only use a small area for vegetables because I can only manage on some days as I have MS. The rest of the garden is grass or trees and we are lucky to have loads of wildlife. I must admit it would be nice sometimes to have the social side as we never see a soul for days at a time but it is nice to just pop outside to pick a lettuce or a courgette for tea. It does take some looking after an I am pleased my husband is fit and well as I couldn't cope with all the mowing and hedge cutting and other jobs. Just off outside now with a cuppa to enjoy the late sunshine :)
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 17:31 »
Yes we have a good sized all round the house plot with a reasonably big, if funny shaped, back garden. Its where any and all of our growing takes place. :) From our involvement in the local Community Garden, I can see the advantages/benefits of the social side of allotmenteering.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Nige2Plots

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 17:39 »
I think the really lucky ones are those whose back gardens adjoin an allotment site. There are several like that on our site. They enjoy the best of both worlds with electricity on there plots (with an extension lead) Bonus!!

evie2

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 18:17 »
We live on a corner so our gardens a bit of a 'slice of cake' size which means the front garden is big too.  It was great when the children were young and even better now they are grown up; lots of room for chooks (3 separate areas) 2 soon to be veg plots, the orchard and 2 grassed play areas.  Wow, I didn't realise it was that big :lol:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Lottie Mary

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 18:27 »
I think the really lucky ones are those whose back gardens adjoin an allotment site. There are several like that on our site. They enjoy the best of both worlds with electricity on there plots (with an extension lead) Bonus!!

A friend of mine is lucky enough to have this - her allotment is directly behind her back garden.  We are fortunate enough to have quite a big garden - our house is on the corner so the garden is L shaped - it's mainly lawn with borders.  We also have a conservatory 'breakfast room' - which is lovely in summer!  Allotment is only about a 10 minute walk away and an excuse for me to get some much needed exercise!

evie2

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 18:45 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: has anyone else noticed how the thread looks on the page?

Is anyone lucky enough to have a....................... fatbelly  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave Mack

• Zillionaire
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 19:27 »
:lol: :lol: :lol: has anyone else noticed how the thread looks on the page?

Is anyone lucky enough to have a....................... fatbelly  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah evie2 ... thats the first thing i noticed  :lol:

Lardman

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 19:39 »

Here was me thinking it was a support group thread   ::)  :D

xx
got lucky with chippings

Started by kellycontina on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 22, 2015, 07:44
by boddy
xx
My Turn For A Lucky Day

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2008, 07:00
by DD.
xx
Lucky Leek

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 09, 2017, 15:24
by Anton
xx
3rd time lucky ?

Started by pumpkinpatch on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 18:47
by Trillium

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 34 queries.