When does your new growing season start?

• 29 Replies

Willie_Eckerslike

When does your new growing season start?
« on: December 26, 2011, 22:55 »
 >:(
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 23:56 by Willie_Eckerslike »

Auntiemogs

Re: When does your new growing season start?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 00:46 »
Tomorrow! Going to sow some leeks & don't care if it's too early, gonna do it 'cos I can!  :happy:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 06:00 »
Yesterday - sowed "The Kelsae" onion seed. Next up are some "Clapton" cauli seeds in January.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 08:16 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

AndyRVTR

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 08:08 »
Same as DD, yesterday I sowed my Kelsae, Ailsa Craig & Globo onions and they are now happily sitting on a table in front of the window in my spare bedroom... I'll keep them there until 'crook' stage then put them in my unheated greenhouse...  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 10:03 »
Tomorrow! Going to sow some leeks & don't care if it's too early, gonna do it 'cos I can!  :happy:

I sowed some leeks very early one year.

They all bolted.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 11:46 »
Same as DD, yesterday I sowed my Kelsae, Ailsa Craig & Globo onions and they are now happily sitting on a table in front of the window in my spare bedroom... I'll keep them there until 'crook' stage then put them in my unheated greenhouse...  :)

Is this for show onions or just eating ones Andy?  I've got some seed for Red Baron (50p seed sales ... what can you do  ::)) and a windowsill in a cool room, but my greenhouse is unheated as well.  I'm dying to get going but am I better waiting  :unsure:

Just asking because DD said he had sown his show onions now but was waiting to sow the cropping ones  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 11:53 »
I don't do show onions!

These are the only ones I'll do from seed, I still do some sets.

I grew these last year as a last ditch attempt to grow from seed, previous attempts resulting in one jar of pickled onions.

The reasoning behind using "The Kelsae" was that these grow into a large show onion for most people, so if for me they made an average sized onion, I'd be happy. With them coming out at 2 1/2 - 3lb each I was more than happy.

I'm not showing them, but I'm sticking to a winning plan.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 12:00 »
Hi Sue, they are for my show onions, but I dont show them :lol:
I just like growing big onions and I find they taste just as good as 'standard' ones, I also find that although they take a lot more care and attention to get them underway, they dont take up that much more space (12-15" between plants) than their smaller counterparts, which I find gives me much more crop for the space I have.  :)
My eldest brother does the same every year, but I think the variety he uses has a lot to do with the better taste from a larger onion, so he has always stuck to the three that I am using..

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 12:16 »
Thanks both of you for your advice   :)  My previous attempts at onions from seed have ended in tears - they made the swedes look good DD  ::)  :lol:

Will get the Red Barons going and see how we do.  Getting them going early and maximising the crop/ground usage ratio seems like a good plan  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 13:06 »
New Shoot, betwen us we can plan to take over the onion world in Reading  :lol: :lol:

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Hobnails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 13:35 »
I don't do show onions!

These are the only ones I'll do from seed, I still do some sets.

Thanks for the heads up DD- I've never achieved any sensible results from sowing from seed before- I'll try Kelsae onions this year to see if I can get something useful from seed.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 13:38 by DD. »
Little by little a bird makes its nest!

seedman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 13:47 »
just planted my golden globe onion seeds in spare bedroom hope its not to warm for them got them from robinsons mammoth onions, not for show just wnated to try and grow some big onions   :D :D
Give me a sense of humor, Lord,
Give me the grace to see a joke,
To get some humour out of life,
And pass it on to other folk.
Happy new year to you all xx

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 13:55 »
Last year I did well with Ailsa Craig and Bedfordshire Champion from seed. Both produced lovely big onions. The Ailsa Craig were bigger but I like to have an assortment of sizes for cooking so doing half of each worked well. This year I'm going to do both again and also try some Long Red Florence instead of doing shallots. Last year I sowed mid February and that worked well for me. The only things I normally  tend to sow as early as January are things like peppers and aubergines that need a long season, though this year I have a polytunnel so maybe I should think about starting things off a little earlier.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 14:53 »
New Shoot, betwen us we can plan to take over the onion world in Reading  :lol: :lol:

No probs  :D  I planted 20 Golden Gormet shallots, 18 Red Sun shallots, 14 Potato Onions and 150 Red Baron onion seeds today  :lol:

Also got shallot, Paris Silverskin and spring onion seeds to go in yet and overwintering onions and garlic already in the plot  :lol:  Alliums rule  8)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 14:59 »
I intended to sow the red and the white onion seed today (garlic and shallots, plus autumn onions already in  :) ) but got side tracked by a mssive asive amount of mealy bug hiding in the bark of the grape vine, and have been down there hours longer than I thought, so haven't brought in the compost to warm it up.

Going to get Mr Sunny to lug it in later when he wakes up again (hee hee hee) so will be on it tomorrow.

I've got Unwins Exhibition and Mammoth Red, and will sow some more spring onions (got red ones and white ones on the plot but they will soon be munched up)

thumbup
Start of the new growing season

Started by Babstreefern on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 04, 2011, 18:24
by Christo
xx
Tomatoes - an odd start to the season...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 26, 2022, 16:18
by JayG
xx
New growing season

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 20, 2020, 18:04
by rowlandwells
xx
Getting started for the new growing season

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post December 19, 2012, 21:12
by New shoot

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 39 queries.