Slug pellets going mouldy

• 5 Replies

DaveD64

« on: September 21, 2008, 20:58 »
Hi All

I've recently planted my winter brassica's (100 of them!) and put some slug pellets down (http://www.thegardenersshop.co.uk/organic-slug-killer-pellets---750g-653-p.asp - note other slug killers are availble from alternate suppliers  :lol: )

Anyway, the rains came and washed them all out, so I put some more down - and the rain came followed by the Indian summer - and now the darn little blue pellets are all mouldy!!!

So, I'm thinking of cleaning them all up - but not really wanting to as it's probably over a days work.

Question ... will the mouldy pellets (and I guess ferric phosphate) cause any harm to the brassicas if I just leave them to rot on the ground?

Thanks (in advance  :wink: )

Dave

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 21:00 »
That's how most of them go when wet, no I don't think they will do any harm  :)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

gobs

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 21:34 »
By the sound of it, you are using way too many! :shock:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

home made pie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 19:48 »
would appreciate your thoughts...

last weekend we took a wobbly  :twisted: on the slugs that had ruined our spuds and we went a bit mad tipping way too many pellets on the soil  :oops: we thought ha ha got you you b-----s

...yesterday I cleared the space where the spuds had been and without thinking I dug over and mixed in all the pellets...I thought "ooooh shouldn't of done that"  but eager as I was to plant my little onions, garlic and some red onions that I'd just bought, I carried on and planted them regardless...then spent all evening regretting it  :roll:

what do you lot think, will these little blue pellets effect the onions, I'm already thinking yuk I don't want to eat them, should I did them up and start again with clean soil ?

HMP

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 20:35 »
Personally I wouldn't worry about it, your not growing to strict organic standards  :wink: IMHO most of the nasties will wash deep down into the soil after a few heavy rains.
If you want to use slug pellets with out getting them on the soil then get a 2l plastic bottle cut a "letter box" type opening along the length of it, put some pellets in the bottle and lay it down so the letter box is at a right angle to the soil. Slugs and snails go in but don't come out  :wink:  Put a few stones in it it it blows around  :)

home made pie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 08:56 »
Cheers richyrich7 I'll stop worrying about it then, as I already planted them I'll leave it as it is...yeah like the slug trap suggestion, will do that
hmp

xx
Which Slug Pellets?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2014, 20:18
by beesrus
xx
Slug pellets

Started by georget on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 11, 2014, 10:41
by georget
xx
slug pellets

Started by nickyveglover on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 09, 2008, 16:29
by Adrian
xx
slug pellets

Started by luke34 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 03, 2016, 23:14
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 39 queries.