stinging nettles

• 4 Replies

Charl89

• Experienced Member
stinging nettles
« on: April 06, 2012, 16:31 »
well i have been clearing a patch of bramble and nettle infested part at the top of my allotment thanks to my neighbours deciding to clear it without my permission.  :dry: anyhows kinda worked out for the good as i have 20 raspberry plants going in to fill the space (yes i love raspberries lol) so today i have started to pull the roots and take them away but bits of the leaves that have broken off have fallen on the ground, i heard somewhere that they will produce a new plant is this right? and anything else i can do to keep it nettle clear or is root pulling the key!

jrko

Re: stinging nettles
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 16:48 »
dig dig dig!  Some of the main root can be 1inch or bigger :ohmy: you need to get down deep and get a much up as possible.

Once the majority is gone, you paint a systemic killer onto new leaves and they will eventually kill the root and disappear.

Save all the top growth if its leafy and make a 'tea' with it.  Stinks to high heaven :wacko: but its REALY good for the plants
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 16:49 by jrko »
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

Charl89

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 17:30 »
i dug about a foot down and got even the tiny roots up! so i am hoping that will help. i did think about nettle tea but i am very allergic, i fell in to a pile of nettles when i was a kid at a BBQ in a bikini so now everytime i get stung i have the sting for around a week. been stung a few times today. i hate these things with a passion!  :mad:

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 18:27 »

" thanks to my neighbours "  just how far are your neighbours likely to go ? ? ?     

Repaint your shed ?    :ohmy:  Cheers,     Tony. 
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Charl89

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 19:25 »
i know! i went on holiday for 2 weeks and by the time i cam eback there was a rope around the top of my allotment which then opened onto theirs. I had to wait for a few weeks as they went on holiday.well you can imagine the phone call we had, they used the excuse that they didnt think i wanted to use the land as it had brambles and that his misses had cleared the land so she should get it. I obviously told them where to put it as i was planning to clear the land anyways for my raspberries so that actually did me a favoure. then tried putting me off it by saying the soil is rubbish. which it isnt, its very good quality. god neighbours annoy me sometimes. havnt seen them since so god knows what will happen when i do lol

xx
ouch - stinging nettle

Started by upert on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2008, 11:52
by upert
xx
nettles

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 12:21
by Stevens706
xx
Nettles - again...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 02, 2011, 08:50
by mumofstig
xx
Bags of nettles

Started by Mazzie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 24, 2011, 00:42
by Dan78

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 37 queries.