How old is old?

• 5 Replies

jonmiles

• Beauty is in the eye of the Beer holder
How old is old?
« on: July 31, 2011, 15:54 »
With some plants or seeds we are told not to plant in recently manured soil.  How old is 'recent'? Of course last week is, certainly last month and possibily 3 months ago but how far back is 'recent'?

Your opinions gratefully welcomed.

sonnycbr

• Experienced Member
Re: How old is old?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 16:02 »
By recently manured, I would say that it refers to land manured for this growing season, so somewhere between last Autumn and this Spring. Obviously, this is only my understanding of it, I dare say others will see it differently. :tongue2:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 17:33 »
I agree  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 17:40 »
So do I!  :)

Parsnips and carrots are the usual root veg mentioned; they need uniform (and preferably stone-free) soil to stop them forking (the roots tend to go off in different directions seeking out the moister or richer areas of soil which is often what you get with "recently" manured ground.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 18:23 »
It's also possible that the person was referring to recently manured as fresh (versus rotted) manure being applied to the soil which is more likely to kill all plants and seeds. The ammonia content is very high in fresh, hot off the press, manure and plants can't tolerate it.

I apply fresh manure every fall to my veg beds and won't plant anything until spring when it's had a chance to mellow. My fall garlic beds get an application of old manure that I save just for that purpose.

jonmiles

• Beauty is in the eye of the Beer holder
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 21:16 »
Many thanks for your replies, I understand what it all means now.

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 30 queries.