Leeks.

• 4 Replies

mrsparsnip

Leeks.
« on: August 16, 2006, 20:40 »
I did my leeks wrong :(  nice old Charles gave me some leeks when I first got my plot but as the plot was full of weeds, I simply cleared an area and not knowing about the whole make a well and fill it with water and not cover them up with soil thing......I just dug a hole and stuck em in.  Now, I have been watering them like mad and they look like spring onions.

is there anything I can do to save them?  shall i dig the up and make a hole and start again or is it pointless?

i'm such an bum, should've read the veg expert book before getting all excited to even have something to plant!

here we have lesson number 1.  there will be many more.
'what ever I am, where ever I am, this is me' - Hannah Hauxwell

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Leeks.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 20:56 »
If they're alive I'd just give them some fertiliser and keep my fingers crossed.  Moving them again will probably do more harm than goog.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

James

• Experienced Member
Leeks.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 21:55 »
How big are they?  How long ago was it?  Leeks are amazingly resiliant.  I reckon it would be worth a go with replanting them.  Do it with half of them if you want to be certain...

mrsparsnip

Leeks.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 09:31 »
that's a godo idea!  I'll do it with half of them and feed them all like mad!  they look like spring onions at the mo, so wish me luck!

I guess it was good to get my first error out of the way on the allotment.  many a person has commented already :)  but in a nice way, they have been smiling at my lack of knowledge! ;)

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
Leeks.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 21:33 »
I am in agreement with the idea of trying to re-plant half the crop.  I have only just planted some late leeks which where lifted from an adjacent plot.  They are doing very well - probably due to the excessive rain we are having at present.

Remember that growing is a learning process.  I have had some real failures, but have taken them as part of this process of learning how to grow your own veg.  If you make the same mistake year on year then it is time to think about giving up.  You are a smart gardener - visiting this site for advice is a very sensible move and proves you are not afraid to learn.

I have probably learned more in the few months I have been a member than in my entire lifetime - so far! Happy Gardening.

best regards

Rugbymad40
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

xx
Big leeks

Started by Alex 98 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 01, 2008, 16:22
by Aunt Sally
xx
When to put in leeks?

Started by Auntiemogs on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2013, 17:19
by Auntiemogs
xx
Leeks

Started by shed head on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 12, 2013, 09:31
by Auntiemogs
xx
leeks

Started by boxing on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 22:35
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 35 queries.