Horse Manure and then what Fertilizer?

• 9 Replies

kiwinicks

Horse Manure and then what Fertilizer?
« on: January 06, 2011, 13:28 »
Hi there,

My wife and I got an allotment mid way through last year which had not been used in a while, the ground had been covered which made digging it over quite easy. 

We spent a number of days carting well rotted horse manure and spreading it over the whole allotment (its only half a plot).

When spring comes and we want to start planting, should be be adding any additional fertilizer to the ground to help ie Lime, blood and bone etc??

thanks
Nick

stompy

Re: Horse Manure and then what Fertilizer?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 13:43 »
Firstly wolcome to the site Nick.

Right, if your putting any longterm plants in, trees, bushes (etc) then on planting you would be best enriching the planting hole with compost/well rotted manure and then add some BFB too.
For most other plants you should be ok, the only thing to note is the PH of the ground if you intend growing brassicas, you could to be on the safe side just add a bit of lime to this area.
The other thing you can do is mulch around the plants, again with compost/well rotted manure this will keep the weeds down hold moisture and give the plants an extra feed too.
If like you say you've spread manure over the whole area, you may have a bit of a problem growing root vegies as they don't like freshly manured soil.

So, Good luck and enjoy.
Andy
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 13:46 by stompy »

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 20:46 »
I tend to use blood, fish and bonemeal in the planting holes for quick access to good stuff. My personal preference lately has also been to add greensand, which I don't believe you can get in the UK as well as mycorrhizal bacteria for root stimulation. For general veg crops, even though I add masses of manure every year I find a light sprinkle with an organic veg fertilizer helps a lot to cover any possible nutrient deficiencies. And if you have a wood burner, a very light sprinkle of ashes aids root growth.

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 21:55 »
greensand, which I don't believe you can get in the UK

It is available as a soil conditioner and is probably more valuable as that than a fertilizer as it contains fairly small amounts of potash. The sand content would be beneficial in opening up the soil and allowing strong root growth. Probably used more in commercial situations than for the home grower.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 00:38 »
You're right, Solway, greensand is primarily a commercial product but of late a lot of organic home gardeners here are also using it now that we know the benefits.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 08:28 »
as well as mycorrhizal bacteria for root stimulation.

Whenever I have looked at mycorrhizal bacteria they seem relatively expensive, which has put me off (even for trees I have planted I think the cost is disproportionate) and the instructions for "putting them on the rootball before planting" imply (to me) that they have to be close contact with the root - if the two need each other then those bacteria that fall further away are not going to help?

I wonder at the economics of it (or maybe it is cheaper out your way Trillium?)

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 15:28 »
Yes, the bacteria is expensive here too, Kristen. But I stock up on fall sales. The containers say good for one year, but I've not found that so. I've had a huge commercial container I got for $1 (I'll never find that kind of deal again  :() and it lasted 3 years until empty. I can always tell in the season which plants I've missed adding it to.

And yes, it does need close root contact for best results. When I pop a plant out of a pot, I rough up the roots to avoid circling, then dust all around with the bacteria. I hold the plant sideways in one hand, turning it slowly as I sprinkle on the bacteria. Trees get the same treatment plus a bit more in the hole right where the root ball will sit.
Veg plants get a sprinkle as they're separated from the container.

Wouldn't do without it now.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 16:12 »
Wouldn't do without it now.
That says a lot, thanks.

I wonder how much this can be recreated with, say, leaf mould?  I tend to use that for specific purposes, rather than as a general root-stimulant.

I read a propagation book and the section on growing hedging stock from seed recommended seed beds (in which the seedlings will live, untransplanted, for a least a year) should have liberal quantities of leaf mould incorporated - just like the forest floor - specifically because of the root stimulation that the symbiotic relationship provides

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 20:33 »
we have spread horse manure on the lottie to overwinter covering about half of the lottie
when we start cultivating in the spring i have noted your advise about using lime and will be using it especially on the brassicas and root crop plots  :)

i also have a couple of bags of last years wood ash that i am going to spread on the onion bed ime just a bit unsure about manuring the onion bed i havent used horse manure on my onion bed before :unsure:

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 04:01 »
Compost is wonderful for many things. I've not studied how it behaves with root stimulation so can't comment there. When I have some compost, I throw some in with the plants but as I mentioned before about the bacteria, there's a big difference between the same seedlings that got the bacteria and those which didn't.

xx
is it not necessary to manure and then use fertilizer

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 12, 2014, 23:18
by Nikkithefoot
xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Compost, Manure, Fertilizer, Leaf mold, eh?

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 20, 2009, 09:53
by compostqueen
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 32 queries.