Leeks looking sorry for themselves

• 6 Replies

mollyblob

Leeks looking sorry for themselves
« on: May 03, 2010, 23:03 »
I've been growing leeks inside in a warm room.  They're an early variety and I followed the instructions on the packet, though looking at a few posts on here I'm wondering if I've planted them too early?  They grew really fast, and are now about 4-5" tall, but really skinny- like thick grass.  They've been ok until about a week ago when they all started flopping over.  What do I need to do?  I'm wondering if the seed tray (one of those with little separate sections... I don't have the gardening vocabulary!) is too shallow for them so they can't support themselves?  Or is it too warm- should they be outside?  Should I transplant them into 3" pots?  Or just leave them be?  Oh dear... stressing over baby leek plants  ;)

PennyS

• My website
Re: Leeks looking sorry for themselves
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 23:05 »
I've been growing leeks inside in a warm room.  They're an early variety and I followed the instructions on the packet, though looking at a few posts on here I'm wondering if I've planted them too early?  They grew really fast, and are now about 4-5" tall, but really skinny- like thick grass.  They've been ok until about a week ago when they all started flopping over.  What do I need to do?  I'm wondering if the seed tray (one of those with little separate sections... I don't have the gardening vocabulary!) is too shallow for them so they can't support themselves?  Or is it too warm- should they be outside?  Should I transplant them into 3" pots?  Or just leave them be?  Oh dear... stressing over baby leek plants  ;)

I'm sure others with more experience will reply, but I started mine outside in a plastic greenhouse and for the last month they've just been outside with no protection (sheltered area though) even at night.  I wonder if yours are too warm?

Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

fletch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 23:50 »
I think too warm Mollyblob. I started mine in the g/h but they've been outside for a couple of weeks now (still in pots and modules) and are doing great.

I'd gradually harden them off to the great outdoors, they're very hardy  :).
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 08:28 »
I agree, they don't need to be kept warm. Also, it won't do them any harm to trim the tops off, that might help them stand to attention. I know lots of people will disagree but I do think this helps to bulk them up a bit too.
Rachael

mollyblob

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 21:29 »
Ok great, thankyou all! I'll start introducing them to the chilly outside world tomorrow.  Not sure if I'm brave enough to start chopping bits off them, but maybe I'll experiment with a couple and see how they go.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 21:36 »
Harden them off and give them a little haircut -- they will benefit from it  :D

I trim mine when I plant them out and it doesn't hurt them one bit. Not essential but it might stop them falling over for now  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Elcie

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 22:08 »
It is at times like this that I can see DDs words in front of me!  His advice would be that they are too warm and should be outside or at least in an unheated greenhouse.

At this stage they may get a bit of a shock if you just put them outside so harden them off first - put them out in a sheltered area during the day and bring them in at night - for a few days.

xx
Leeks

Started by GaryH on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post October 19, 2008, 10:59
by corynsboy
xx
leeks

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 25, 2017, 15:37
by Goosegirl
xx
Leeks

Started by campanologist on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2013, 08:45
by campanologist
xx
Leeks

Started by Roll Roll on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 13, 2009, 16:29
by barney rubble

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 35 queries.