parsnips

• 6 Replies

jambop

parsnips
« on: February 18, 2020, 08:53 »
That time of year again when thought turn to what will be grown. I had some amazing parsnips last year and want to grow them again. I still have a lot of the seed that I bought last year and it does said it is good until 2022 but I have read that parsnip seeds do not stay viable for long. So the question is , is it worth even trying the seeds I have? I was thinking a dense sowing just in case they have only a 25% germination rate. I suppose I could test them by sowing some indoors now I won't be sowing these until probably the end of March.

rowlandwells

Re: parsnips
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 14:17 »
I've still got my last years parsnip seed and I'm going to give them a go I also bought a new packet of parsnip seed just in case they don't geminate well its a no brainer parsnip seed is quite cheep but if they come they come if not I've got a back up  :D

I also found putting hot water on the seed when sowing did seem to help germination?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 15:24 »
I did an experiment a good few years back purely on germination rate, first year 99%, 2nd year 65% and third year around 17%

I always sow new seed.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

jambop

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 20:02 »
I did an experiment a good few years back purely on germination rate, first year 99%, 2nd year 65% and third year around 17%

I always sow new seed.

65% for the second year? I like those odds  :D I have a go with the seeds from last year a dense sowing should give more than enough roots per row .

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 20:55 »
I have germinated on wet kitchen paper and then put the ones that germinated into root trainers before. Might be worth trying if you’re not sure how many will come up.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 12:10 »
Buy a packet of new seed. It doesn't cost the earth. Yes sow in a cluster - every 8" or so. Job done, no need to worry. No need to faff about so much
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

jambop

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 09:15 »
Buy a packet of new seed. It doesn't cost the earth. Yes sow in a cluster - every 8" or so. Job done, no need to worry. No need to faff about so much
Does not cost the earth you say! I will have you know I had to pay €3.50 for a packet and only sowed about fifty seeds from it!  :lol: No I am inclined to go with sowing a full row and then thinning to  15 cm when they eventually come through.

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
Parsnips

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post December 10, 2010, 14:49
by Aidy
xx
Big Parsnips!

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 17, 2013, 17:53
by Ema
xx
Old parsnips

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 18, 2007, 23:31
by Annie

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 41 queries.