What are you growing too much of?

• 32 Replies

LILLILEAF

Re: What are you growing too much of?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 05:53 »
mine is onions i grew 84 from seed they all germinated,and forgot i had 50 onion sets arrived as a free be with some thing else :mellow memory not what it once was :nowink:

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 06:19 »
Rainbow Chard and perpetual spinach, despite the dry year and light soil they are a lush forest! They will be eaten though, I love a spinach and potato curry......

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 15:42 »
Sweetcorn. The weather turned cold and windy just after I planted the first forty out and they turned very pale yellow and looked generally miserable. After a few weeks I sowed a full replacement and as soon as they went out the weather picked up and the first lot started to gain a bit of green. At least the harvest should be staggered.

victoria park

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 16:07 »
Summer cabbages, like Greyhound sort of thing. They all come together at once, and it isn't really a Summer food in my head, that's the problem.  I keep thinking I should grow them but half don't make it to the table and end in the compost. Red cabbages get polished off later in the year no problem, but they're a bit more exotic and have different culinary uses.
I'm thinking of putting a further couple of beds annually to green manure, to restrict my available space, so as to make me plant only that which I really want and actually eat, for want of a better word.
At the start of the season, I harbour all these perfect eating scenarios and recipes in my head, only for some to be not based in reality.  :nowink:
I'm getting better at it though. I can now diss and thin surplus seedlings with impunity early on, and put perfectly formed full term specimens into the compost pile without guilt.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 16:16 by victoria park »

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 21:20 »
Planted 140 leeks on Sunday, usually swap them for eggs and other things.

miggs

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 11:23 »
Shallots

I've got enough to supply a chain of French restaurants.

There's two of us.... :ohmy:
Same here, got hundreds of them. There's only me that really eats them, wife and kids might have the odd one.

Lottiman

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 21:36 »
Well!!  As this is my tenth year at my plot l should know better!! ( Hanging my head in shame) This year's problem is Courgettes!!!  When will I learn  :nowink: Once they germinate I just can't bring myself to bung the spare ones on the compost heap :( What's even funnier though are the faces that people pull if you try to give them away  :lol:
Optimism probably a gardeners best tool.

AnneB

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2017, 08:55 »
I am self sufficient in lots of things now, there are only 2 of us at home, mainly garlic, shallots, broad beans, carrots, beetroot, parsnips, swede.  If I have a glut of anything and it can't be frozen or preserved I share with son and daughter and friends and neighbours and other relatives.  Nothing wasted.

compostqueen

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 20:09 »
Hispi and courgettes. I made a lovely couple of courgette loaves though

Lottiman

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2017, 21:04 »
Ooooh Courgette tea bread!  I had almost forgotten about that one!!  Yummy... :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 07:43 »
Tomatoes, but that's because my thinking is that if there are lots of plants, and blight strikes, there's a chance that we'll still get a half-decent crop - maybe one truss per plant...

stompy

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2017, 09:01 »
Planted 4 corgette plants and we are now inundated with the things, around 2 every day, also Blue lake french beans, i grew 1 in the greenhouse and to be honest that 1 plant has suplied us and the neighbour with enough and now the 12 outdoor planted ones are beginning to produce  :ohmy:

Even our neighbour is running out of ideas for what to do with cougettes and french beans.

Ohter than that i think the other stuff is all about right.  :D

Mr Dog

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2017, 09:26 »
Planted 4 corgette plants and we are now inundated with the things, around 2 every day, also Blue lake french beans, i grew 1 in the greenhouse and to be honest that 1 plant has suplied us and the neighbour with enough and now the 12 outdoor planted ones are beginning to produce  :ohmy:

Even our neighbour is running out of ideas for what to do with cougettes and french beans.

Ohter than that i think the other stuff is all about right.  :D

Pickle some of the beans (especially if you like piccalilli)? Search for runner bean pickle and substitute the runners with the French beans.

madcat

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2017, 10:27 »
It is when I don't get the successional sowing right that it really gets embarrassing. For example, the chinese leaves were lovely and starting to heart, and then all went to seed together in a week.   As did the all the year round lettuce.
 :(  The pakchoi are threatening the same thing, and the chard are watching with interest.

PS  you can never have too many onions.  Or shallots.  Think of a lovely boeuf bourguignon, with sweet shallots in the sauce, or roasted round the joint or caramelised in a tart with goats cheese .. Have I got you drooling yet?   :D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:32 by madcat »
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Lardman

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 10:33 »
The pakchoi are threatening the same thing, and the chard are watching with interest.

The red pak choi I have is holding really well and it's still in the GH  :ohmy: , just wish I could find a use for it  :blush:  the chard bolted weeks ago and that was outside.

xx
What veg are best for growing here?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 07, 2009, 06:33
by Kagganz
xx
New to growing!

Started by plumcrazi_2005 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 24, 2006, 14:16
by lentil987
xx
I am new at growing!!!!!

Started by wayne on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post November 08, 2007, 04:51
by DellDGM
clip
What am I growing?

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2022, 11:49
by cc

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 35 queries.