The Great Crimson Crush Experiment - year two...

• 50 Replies

Growster...

Re: The Great Crimson Crush Experiment - year two...
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2017, 12:00 »
Just to keep the subject wandering along in a daze, the CC down on the Patch have shown up to be mainly big round fruits, but there's a strain of about three out of the dozen or so, which have cat-faced! The blighted plants immediately touching them still have some good fruit, but of course, it's getting late in the day now, so the panic's over.

One anomaly has cropped up though, in that I picked two bigguns from different plants, and one didn't have any seeds at all! The other had some great fleshy bits, loads of seeds and hardly any white inside, so Mumofstig's comment some time ago, about mutation continuing in different ways is absolutely spot on.

The CC plants are looking a bit tired now, but still no sign of blight...

I suppose that this points to a way of getting a crop is to plant lots of them, expect some failures, get a few cats, but have a decent crop in the end. That's if you have the room of course, and we luckily do on The Patch, and various spots at home, where they all raced away...

jaydig

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2017, 18:21 »
Another four pounds of Mountain Magic picked today.  Strangely, on some of the trusses, there can be just one tomato showing signs of blight, but every other fruit is totally unaffected. 
Definitely growing both Crimson Crush and Mountain Magic next year.  I'm even wondering if it's worth bothering with greenhouse tomatoes at all, other than perhaps to grow some green, stripey, or other different coloured or flavoured varieties, and grow the ordinary toms on the plot.

victoria park

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2017, 19:50 »
The last week or two have certainly taken their toll. All other outside toms long gone to blight, and this last 4 or 5 days the crimson crush plants have looked decidedly stricken. However, the fruits soldier on regardless, and I have only lost 10% to blight. The picture below shows the start of the blight on the leaves, but it has got a lot worse.

Still, it doesn't matter, because yet again, in a real bad blight year, my crimson crush are still producing fruit.
I wouldn't say they were a great salad tomato, with only 30% suitable for that purpose. Tasty enough, but best for sauces frozen with basil etc. Very pleased yet again, but the plants have taken a hit in the last few days. I suspect they'll perk up again once there's a couple of days dry weather. Even my Autumn raspberries this year have suffered from the wet with a lot of mould.
cwimsoncwush.jpg

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2017, 21:34 »
Big thumbs up to Crimson Crush from me. The blight has moved in now, but I secured 95% of the ripened crop before it hit.

Result!!

Growster...

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2017, 06:56 »
Big thumbs up to Crimson Crush from me. The blight has moved in now, but I secured 95% of the ripened crop before it hit.

Result!!

Sums up the whole issue, Juvenal!

Thank you!

Growster...

« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2017, 05:46 »
Just before 'The Great CC Experiment' squeaks and bangs to a timely halt, here is probably the last pic worth recording the fact that about 90% of the CC have bounded away like red gazelles, while their few bedfellows (watch it G!), 'Country Taste', 'Shirley' and 'Gardeners Delight', can be seen in total blighted disarray now!

As predicted, some of the original 23 plants succumbed to terminal 'catsface', one never even got going at all), so we finished up with 15 plants here on The Patch, 11 CC, one GD, one Shirley and 2 CT. The mutation took care of the failures, but the rest of them are still bombing away thank goodness!

Oddities include one with absolutely no seed inside, (a Jaffa), and they all forked once at precisely the same point, low down on the stem. I gave up trying to tame them and just let them loose, hence the rather haphazard frame and tying in! As a chum who is a regular recipient of anything we can give away prefers organic toms, this year, we bit the bullet and didn't use any chemicals on them at all, just comfrey, nettle and 6X liquid - 'Growsterpong'... It was also part of 'The Great Experiment' to try not to affect the effect of blight...

Everyone else on all the plots were blighted, including a friend very close by who planted 18 different varieties, some heritage and some standard.. I'd given him a CC from last year's crop, and guess what, his three CC plants are just romping away still, while the rest have just about died a death!

And also, Jaydig, his 'Mountain Magic' plant is still in perfect nick too, which proves your point as well! He's given me one for next year, and maybe we'll try all this again...

DSCN8393.JPG

xx
Crimson Crush

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 23, 2023, 18:04
by Anton
xx
crimson crush

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 25, 2021, 10:06
by rowlandwells
xx
'Crimson Crush' - yet again...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post June 02, 2015, 10:29
by Growster...
xx
Crimson crush

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post July 19, 2015, 22:04
by Nicki85

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 35 queries.