Repairing An Old Greenhouse

• 4 Replies

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
Repairing An Old Greenhouse
« on: September 01, 2016, 09:16 »
Morning all, Ive recently moved to a new house, the landlord was going to get the local tat man to collect the greenhouse but instead Im going to try and repair it (the landlord says Im welcome to it and if I move its officially mine).
Its missing several of the glass panels unfortunately and the doors fallen out of its track
Ive squared the whole structure off so I can get some accurate measurements this weekend but I was wondering where the best place is to get replacement glass, is there a special type Id need to purchase i.e. tempered? 
Ill also need to source more of the wire clips to hold the glass in (which I completely forgot to photograph..) Does anyone know what their called and where I can buy them?

Any advice offered will be greatly appreciated 

David

lettice

Re: Repairing An Old Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 09:34 »
Homebase and Wilko  sell the greenhouse clips as well as Amazon if you need loads.
For greenhouse glass, just find a local glass merchant, they will cut it for you there and then and its a lot cheaper that way.
The online glass suppliers tend to charge a lot to post it.
What many do, is take glass form the lower part and put higher up and use the cheaper plastic alternatives at the bottom.
Over the years a few of my greenhouse panes have cracked/broken and I have swapped them for the bottom ones, then patched the broken glass with greenhouse tape and that is still as good as new today.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 12:04 »
You can choose toughened glass rather than standard but it is much more expensive (although safer, of course.)

Shop around if you have more than one glass merchant in your area  - thinking that 5 was a bit much for a standard 2'X2' sheet from a shop I'd used before I went somewhere else, and paid 8 instead!!  :ohmy:  :ohmy:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 16:38 »
You need 2 types of glass clips, the ones that hold the higher panes above the pane below and the 'W' clips that hold glass in.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FREE-DELIVERY-Greenhouse-Glass-Pane-Glazing-Clips-/261144397786?var=&hash=item3ccd6b47da:m:m2c9aWuwL-CPFQU9nM1dvpA

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 08:38 »
Thanks for the advice everyone  :D

xx
Repairing a greenhouse window

Started by Craignant on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post May 15, 2011, 07:48
by Rangerkris
xx
Need help repairing a well

Started by Lollyrecords on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2012, 21:02
by Lollyrecords
xx
Repairing an IBC!

Started by woodavon on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 21:22
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Repairing Enviromesh?

Started by Pimento on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post June 15, 2017, 12:52
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 37 queries.