What can I do with frozen cream? Butter? Ice Cream?

• 7 Replies

Swing Swang

What can I do with frozen cream? Butter? Ice Cream?
« on: February 15, 2016, 22:35 »
Ok - in my bargain spotting mode a few months ago I found a LOT of cream at a very low price. Most I turned into butter and froze. Some I didn't. I just put it into the deepfreeze until 'later'. Problem is that now 'later has arrived it really isn't good for much as it separates and doesn't behave like cream should - Can't make a posset out our it, neither can I add it to a milk pudding - it just separates and I end up with a layer of butter on the top of everything.

Question - can I actually turn it into butter (i.e. will it still whip properly)? Or even Ice-cream? Or perhaps something else? Would be a shame to throw it away.

Thanks

P

chrissie B

Re: What can I do with frozen cream? Butter? Ice Cream?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 08:37 »
Wish we could get cheap cream its only about 10p  heaper when knocked down ,have you tryed heating it gently , its only an idea try with a small ammount see if it works , i had some melted chocolat e at the weekend it looked awful i added some warm cream and beat like mad and it was ok .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

Swing Swang

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 20:26 »
Thanks MoS - just what I needed to hear.

Chrissie B - heating gently didn't help I'm afraid - that's probably what caused the lemon posset disaster.

Regarding places for cheap double cream - I often find that my local Bookers sells it at a huge reduction on the sell by date and have picked up 4 pints of double cream for around about the £2.65 mark, you can sometimes haggle a bit more off if you take all they have left at the end of the day. Of course getting a Bookers card if you're not a business is difficult, but you might find that your employer is helpful, or if you are involved with a charity you might be able to get one that way.

SS

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 06:23 »
I freeze the cream from the milk I get from a local farm till I have enough to make butter, so yes I agree, that's what I would do with it. The upside to having a dry goat!

Mrs Bee

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 10:02 »
If you whip the cream before freezing until it is at the just holding its shape stage and then pop it into pots and freeze then you can use it in cooking, such as chocolate sauces, custards. You could also use in egg custards and pancake batters.

I also find that if you freeze it whipped you can use it to make baked cheesecakes especially if you blend the mixture in a food processor.

I haven't tried it but it should be OK to make a mousse too.

If you whip it slightly thicker than just holding its shape and pipe into rosettes before freezing you can use the frozen rosettes to top desserts.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 10:08 »
Also, it works well if you whip it with a little sugar before freezing. Can use to top a cup of coffee too.

Unsweetened whipped and frozen in blobs and you can use a couple of blobs in soups or casseroles.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 11:19 »
Just be aware that while open freezing whipped and piped rosettes that they will pick up any odour in your freezer which may not seem much to you, but will taste horrible once defrosted atop your lovely trifle/gateau.

xx
Red currant ice cream, frozen yogurt or sorbet recipes please!

Started by madcat on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 08:25
by Mrs Bee
xx
Single cream in ice cream

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

20 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 18:42
by Mrs Bee
grin
ice cream

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

21 Replies
Last post March 29, 2009, 09:21
by chrissie B
xx
Cream for Ice cream

Started by RJR_38 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post August 10, 2015, 22:08
by RJR_38

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 35 queries.