andyk

• Experienced Member
My first allotment!
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2007, 21:18 »
best of luck all the work is worth it in the end

littlemisssunshine

My first allotment!
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2007, 21:21 »
Thanks for all the encouragement.  I am now rethinking the rotivator.  However I do not have access to one regularly.

Sawnee - I think my plot will be like yours - I am setting myself a goal, half dug this year and the rest next year.

I must take some photos and I'll figure out how to add them.

:D

andyk

• Experienced Member
My first allotment!
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2007, 21:34 »
photo can be added by useing photobucket i think there is a guide on the site

mushroom

My first allotment!
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2007, 21:48 »
if you have webspace with your internet provider, it's an idea to periodically record progress, then upload the pics. Mine is here. It helps me not to get too despondent with the task in hand, especially comparing the photos at the very beginning against the latest ones. It also helps with planning, thinking about future layout, etc, and importantly, where what was planted, important in rotation.

gobs

My first allotment!
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2007, 22:03 »
You had your job cut out there, Mushy, you could have even set fire to all those huge grass!

Have you put any manure in this year?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
My first allotment!
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2007, 22:41 »
Quote from: "shaun"
you guys have great soil up there in lancs  8)

Huh?  I thought Lancs was sat on one huge bed of clay, this contributing as much to the dampness and thus the rise of Cotton Industry, as anything that comes out of the skies?  I must have drawn the short straw cos it certainly is where I am.

shaun

My first allotment!
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2007, 22:43 »
there on the flat bit near the sea tinbasher  :wink: you need to go west a bit towards ormskirk or east a bit towards rainford  :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
My first allotment!
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2007, 22:57 »
Quote from: "shaun"
there on the flat bit near the sea tinbasher  :wink: you need to go west a bit towards ormskirk or east a bit towards rainford  :wink:

Oh yeah I see.  St Annes eh?  Luxury. Don't know they're born. :D

mushroom

My first allotment!
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2007, 09:50 »
Quote from: "gobs"
You had your job cut out there, Mushy, you could have even set fire to all those huge grass!

Unfortunately not - fires are restricted to bonfire night, as we are surrounded on 3 sides by houses. They don't count a BBQ as a 'fire', though. In the latest photos, the grass is stacked in a pile on the left. It's dead and dry, it will burn.

Quote from: "gobs"
Have you put any manure in this year?

nope. I've been looking for somewhere local but not found anyone who will deliver yet (I don't drive). Luckily, the soil appears to be in good condition anyway. I will manure the last section, after it is cleared - but i can't clear it until after I've burned the stuff I can't compost.

gobs

My first allotment!
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2007, 09:55 »
Yes, a lot of people won't deliver any as they are not allowed to(classified as dangerous waste) you need special license to transport it, etc.

Fellow allotmentiers should know though, who does.

muntjac

My first allotment!
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2007, 10:13 »
that special licene to deliver manure is a new one on me and the chicken farm office . and also the dairy herd farm at black street knows nothing it may be down to your area if that ths case

Manure produced by horses that are kept privately within the curtilage of a dwelling house is classified as Household Waste and as such, is not subject to the regulations that apply to manure produced at commercial sites.

http://www.surrey.gov.uk/sccwebsite/sccwspages.nsf/LookupWebPagesByTITLE_RTF/Manure+wanted+and+available?opendocument
still alive /............

gobs

My first allotment!
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2007, 10:21 »
Might be local, but all those stables and farms I approached around here,gave me that very same answer, you come and help yourself, we are not allowed to transport it. :?

muntjac

My first allotment!
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2007, 10:27 »
Ii guess they are misinterprating the rules or are a commercial stable  :wink:

egym

new allotments
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2007, 10:36 »
Hi, i am sharing an allotment with a friend just outside brighton, i've been on the waiting list 2 yrs now and it'll probably be another 2yrs before i get one in brighton, still its nice to get out to the country.
I've pretty much finished the digging and covered some plots in polythene ready for use in spring.
I've just bought a small poly tunnel and would like some advice on what i can plant now!!!
Also is ok to just use last yrs compost (left on site) or do i need horse manure. I don't drive so i go everywhere on the bus (bike in summer)
Thanks.
PS; this is also my 1st time on a forum/chat room! :
Allotment holder
east sussex.

muntjac

My first allotment!
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2007, 10:38 »
welcome and yes you can use last years compost and thank the person who left it for ya . pop up to welcome forum and tell us a little bit about your self and area  :wink:

xx
Got my allotment !!! :D

Started by Chappers on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 27, 2009, 03:45
by Chappers
xx
New allotment

Started by attia of the julii on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 25, 2008, 20:42
by wotisname
xx
New allotment

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2015, 17:47
by cadalot
xx
New allotment

Started by robmac on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post December 22, 2008, 17:09
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 39 queries.