Something different this year...

• 13 Replies

Lardman

Something different this year...
« on: January 03, 2010, 22:54 »
This years poops and giggle veg ( you know the one you grow just for fun) will be ......  a Cucumber.

After the last 2 years failures with jerusalem artichokes and butter nut squash I thought I better ask for suggestions on which variety. No greenhouse still, so I need something that will be happy either in full sun in sandy soil or on a warm south facing patio, semi-shade in a pot.

Burpless Tasty Green seems popular, but something smaller like Iznik (from Moles) or Zeina (from TM) would be good.

Personally opinions anyone?

I feel a few months of which is best questions approaching.....

goodegg

Re: Something different this year...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 23:42 »
burpless tasty green is a good choice i grow them each year good reliable fruit dont try to grow them to early without a greenhouse good luck

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 23:48 »
My first year last year and I grew Marketmore on my lottie plot, in light soil and full sun. They (or should I say mine ) where only 6 - 8 inches long, prolific  and went down very well with the rest of the family.

I'm trying Burpless Tasty Green this year myself, trying to find a cucumber that actually agrees with me !! :D
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

southwells farm

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 13:48 »
I grew Burpless Tasty Green last year for the first time, they were very nice! My downfall was i only had 2 plants and didnt feed them so didnt get very many fruit BUT theres always next year!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 13:51 »
Marketmore did us proud this year, outside and in large pots  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

madcat

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 13:56 »
I grew marketmore outdoors in very average soil but with plenty of water against the tall uprights of my munti-frame.  One did brilliantly with loads of fruit :happy:; one got sunburnt in the first couple of days it was out and took a while to recover (memo to self : a little extra shade in the first few days out of the cold frame is good ::)); one was convinced it was a squash and grew lots and lots of foliage, but less fruit - not sure what I did wrong with that one. :unsure:  Will be doing it again this year, but will pay a bit more attention to planting pockets.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 14:05 »
Had good results with Marketmore for the past 2 years. Gave loads away and the chooks enjoyed the rest.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 14:22 »
Have also grown Marketmore for a few years. Not very successful last year as planting them out coincided with a cool spell and they seriously sulked (then died!)

Had to start all over again by which time it was too late to get a good crop before the cooler weather stopped them in their tracks.

This year they will be great of course! :(
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 20:21 »
Try something different, I got hooked on Crystal apple last year, dead easy to grow and that little bit different.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 20:32 »
After the  failures with jerusalem artichokes

Silly question how can you fail with JA's? I've got 'em growing like weeds, I'll happily send you some if you want to try again!

I'm no help with cucs as I grow them in my greenhouse...........mini cucs (gherkins ) did very well for me though inside
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Lardman

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 21:06 »
Mmm I'll have to take another look at Marketmore...... Decisions decisions.

I think I better stick to a standard one for my first time Aidy - although they do look interesting.

Silly question how can you fail with JA's? I've got 'em growing like weeds,

The failure wasn't in growing them but in the eating of them.  I'll happily eat most thing that stand still long enough - but even I have my limits.

I'll happily send you some if you want to try again!

No - its fine you keep them - all of them, every last single one of them

janette

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 21:30 »
why not try Venlo and if you have too many pick them small and pickle them as gerkins

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 21:59 »
I've got some Real Seed Company Miniature White seeds if you want to try a mini cuke. Very prolific and can be grown up netting or left to trail.  You harvest the yellow-white fruit when under 3 inches long. It's a bit of thug under glass but does well outside in a warm spot with very little fuss.

zazen999

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 22:11 »
My favourite cukes every were Sigmadew - white [or very pale yellow/green], grew long and straight and such a beautiful taste. And kept really really well.

Page created in 0.464 seconds with 40 queries.