Planning 2010 seed purchase

• 9 Replies

ziggy66

Planning 2010 seed purchase
« on: January 03, 2010, 17:16 »
Hi this is our second season at the allotment, but we only got the plot mid way through last year so were always playing catch up. We had our fair share of successes and failures but it was always enjoyable to eat the fruits of your labour. To make sure that we keep on track this year I am now scouring the seed catalogues and plannind what to buy. As ever with these things I get tempted…………… and suddenly the list has far more seeds than my half plot will allow.

Anyway if it is alright below are my thoughts to date. I would really welcome any thoughts or opinions on varieties chosen and if there are any obvious omissions or improvements. If it helps the allotment is Surrey.

I should say that one thing we did learn in the first year is that any brassica becomes a snowstorm of white fly and tomatoes just get blight, so both are of the list. Salads we will just catch crop, if that is the right phrase.

Asparagus - Backlim
Asparagus - Gijnlim
Aubergine – Moneymaker
Aubergine – Bonica
Dwarf French Bean – Purple Teepee
Dwarf French Bean – Ferrari
Carrot – Maestro
Celeriac – Monarch
Chilli – Hungarian Hot Wax
Chilli – Praire fire
Courgette – Firenze
Courgette – Sylvania
Cucumber – Marketmore
Fennel – Amigo
Leek – Carlton
Mangetout – Oregon Sugar Pod
Sugarsnap Pea – Cascadia
Potato – Charlotte (salad)
Potato – Kondor (baking)
Squash – Sunburst
Squash – Hawk
Sweetcorn – Swift

As I said, too much

Onions, garlic and shallots are already in and sprouting!

Happy New Year,

Tim

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Planning 2010 seed purchase
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 17:22 »
Looks a lovely list, varied and interesting

Aubergine and chillis will preferably need indoor / sheltered warmth.

Don't sow too many courgette or squash plants or you'll lose friends rapidly when they see you coming with the 42nd bag of spare produce!!! 

Purple teepee beans and Swift sweetcorn are great.  I'm not familiar with the other varieties you mention, except Charlotte spuds which are reliable and great.

If you did want to grow brassicas then don't be put off by the whitefly, just use fine netting which will keep them off.

Good luck and try to resist the temptation to sow and plant out the majority of the tender crops too early, it rarely pays off.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

ziggy66

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 18:21 »
Thanks for the advice on courgettes, it is noted. I do remember last year a continuous glut of courgette/ marrow. We seem to be able to store squashes so not such an issue there. In fact tonight we are having roasted veggies, including a squash that we made earlier. :tongue2:

I am now a bit worried about the aubergine/ chillis. We had limited success last year, just getting one aubergine per plant. I thought that it might have been because we were late getting the in and the second fruits were ripening just as the first frosts came.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 18:25 »
Chillis will be alright indoors on the windowsill and crop well.  :) :)

You got more aubergines than me then, with one per plant -- mine were disastrous even in the greenhouse, so I'll pass on them this year. ::)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

gardener247

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 15:45 »
sounds kinda like me i have bought enough seeds to last about 5 years!!! cant wait to get going

southwells farm

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 16:44 »
Aubergine – Moneymaker
Aubergine – Bonica

Unless you have a greenhouse i personally would'nt bother with them as they require good heat to grow.

Chilli – Hungarian Hot Wax
Chilli – Praire fire

I grew Chillies outside (shelterd spot in Hampshire) and had great sucess!

Sweetcorn – Swift

Again i grew these last year and was quite pleased with them. A small plant with only one cob per plant (well thats what i got). Something i've learned is before you plant them make sure the soil has been "fed" well.

I share you're enthuasiam with buying seeds!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 16:52 by southwells farm »

madcat

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 16:48 »
Asparagus - Backlim, Gijnlim  These are a long term commitment...  are you happy with that?  You wont see a crop for a couple of years.
Aubergine – Moneymaker, Bonica  I have completely failed with these outside and in a greenhouse.  They do need a good summer and to get properly warm for the flowers not just to rot.  If it was me - one for play and to see if you can in the green house, but not two and not outside.
Chilli – Hungarian Hot Wax, Praire fire  Need a hot window ledge or good greenhouse.
Courgette – Sylvania  Dont know this one - is it gold or round or ???
Cucumber – Marketmore  Good outdoors.  See another thread
Sugarsnap Pea – Cascadia  You can pick these early as mangetout I believe, if you are out of space
Potato – Charlotte (salad)  Good and reliable
Potato – Kondor (baking)  I would consider Kestral ...  easier to get hold of and were good for me this year.  Iain will be able to advise you on the best one for your site - do you have blight/slug problems?
Squash – Sunburst, Hawk  Dont know these - please report back on how you get on!
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 16:51 »
When planting out the sweetcorn plant them in clumps rather than rows as it helps the wing to germinate them better  :D  Sounds a good list though.
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

ziggy66

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 19:18 »
Wow - looks like we had beginner's luck with the aubergines, so I may scale back my ambitions to just a couple of plants and save precious space. I was thinking of making some sort of open topped pen in polythene for the chillis and aubergines to give them that bit of extra warmth and protection that they need, sounds like this might not be enough.

Asparagus - agreed it is a committment, I was intending to buy some crowns so that we could pick something next year.  :tongue2:

Madcat - the Sylvania courgette is just a standard shape, no idea now why I would want two of the same type. So back to the catalogues for something a bit more interesting............. any suggestions?

Southwells - Sweetcorn is my favourite crop. Last year I could not get over how much sweeter freshly picked was over shop bought and would be disappointed to just get one cob per plant. I think that I will switch from Swift to Lark. Looks equally tasty

How is everybody else getting on with their shopping list, would be great to compare notes.

Thanks for your help

madcat

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 09:07 »
Since you have a lovely dark green courgette, how about going for a gold one?  They make interesting stir fries and salads together, jolly up lunch boxes etc.  My gold ones didnt crop as heavily as the green ...  but I think they drew the short straw in planting pockets, so it may be my fault.

Or one I want to try, round Italian courgettes ... havent found the seeds for them yet, but someone on our site grew them last year from seeds sent by an italian friend.  He gave me one and I cut it in half and filled it with a rissotto style stuffing and baked ... it worked really well.  The only problem with them was they cropped soooooo heavily, from very tidy plants.

xx
Seed Swap 2010 - Southampton

Started by southwells farm on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 15, 2010, 10:06
by southwells farm
xx
Blueberry bushes (purchase of)

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 11, 2019, 17:11
by Paul Plots
xx
Group purchase of large amounts of muck

Started by Cabbie37 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 07, 2011, 10:07
by savbo
xx
planning for Jan

Started by umps25 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 15, 2013, 13:15
by DD.

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 35 queries.