chili seeds

• 6 Replies

smc

• Experienced Member
chili seeds
« on: January 29, 2009, 17:54 »
hi,last year i separated seeds from my uncles chilis and tomatoes bit sad but liked the idea of re growing this summer when my green house was back up and running, its not heated but i do have one electric propargator,when is it best to put them in little pots to germinate?? or can this not be done??    will grow some outside when they are ready and some back in my green house cos we eat loads of them   thanks

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: chili seeds
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 17:59 »
Can't speak for chillis, but tomato wise, I've just sown some to go into a heated greenhouse.

In another month, I'll probably sow those going into an unheated one and the outside ones a bit after that.

If you've nowhere to put them - don't start them too early.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

smc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 18:04 »
cheers,what date would you put your toms into unheated props then to start the process then

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 18:06 »
The unheated refers to the greenhouse.

For propagators I use hi-tech polythene bags! :ohmy:

Early to mid-March sowing for the unheated greenhouse.

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 20:05 »
Chilli wise I think it's Feb / Mar time to sow inside but I know there are more knowledgeable people around to answer you.

I usually sow mine in compost in a pot around March time, cover the pot with cardboard to exclude light, put in the airing cupboard until they germinate, move to a warm windowsill, rotate every day so they grow straight(ish) and transplant to 3 inch pots for growing on in an unheated, plastic, mini greenhouse when 2 pairs of true leaves are formed. I eventually put them in troughs (outside in the garden) to grow to maturity but as they grow against thick stone walls wich get nice and warm in the summer they are most probably in their own micro climate.

I know DD has his own way of ensuring light gets everywhere and hence the seedlings grow straight and strong, I won't quote it but I know I will be using it this year  :D

Good luck
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 20:09 »

I know DD has his own way of ensuring light gets everywhere and hence the seedlings grow straight and strong, I won't quote it but I know I will be using it this year  :D

Good luck

The ali foil is no secret!!! :tongue2:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 20:46 »
Ive started tom seeds in my GH this year as an experiment. Its unheated by..say a paraffin heater, but is a lean to GH and gets all the central heating heat from next doors radiatorr
Chilli seeds Ive just started off indoors in a warmish room in an unheated propagaterer

The seeds are nothing Im worried about losing if they dont germinate so I thought it was worth a try  :D OH will be very happy if they do ok early
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

xx
3 questions: chili, chili and peat pots

Started by mushroom on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 05, 2007, 17:50
by mushroom
xx
Name that chili?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 11:22
by Debz
xx
one red chili

Started by titch on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 04, 2008, 21:27
by agapanthus
xx
what's eating this chili?

Started by mushroom on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 30, 2007, 11:41
by Annie

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 39 queries.