Spuds have come........oh oh what have I done?

• 26 Replies

Kagganz

« on: December 11, 2008, 11:19 »
Now bare in mind as you read this, I am container growing in a garden only approx 22ft by 12ft................

Some (yes I did say some) of my potato order had come just now.

My main question is how many and how big containers, bags etc. will I need for this lot.  Dont ask me why I ordered so many, just put it down to ignorance and thickness.  Here goes  :roll:  gulp.

Came today from marshalls 30 x Valor and 30 x Vivaldi

Still on order from marshalls a starter kit with 5 seed potatoes x three varieties (cant remember the names one was first early and two seconds.)

On order (Offer from Kitchen Garden) 10 pixie tubers (free), 10 Foremost tubers 10 charlotte tubers and 10 picasso tubers!

I'm really out of my depth.  I dont mind growing them and giving them away.

Main Q again how many and how big containers and sacks please,  at the rate I'll be supplying Sainsburys next year.  :shock:

Thanks xx

agapanthus

Re: Spuds have come........oh oh what have I done?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 11:27 »
Quote from: "Kagganz"
Now bare in mind as you read this, I am container growing in a garden only approx 22ft by 12ft................

Some (yes I did say some) of my potato order had come just now.

My main question is how many and how big containers, bags etc. will I need for this lot.  Dont ask me why I ordered so many, just put it down to ignorance and thickness.  Here goes  :roll:  gulp.

Came today from marshalls 30 x Valor and 30 x Vivaldi

Still on order from marshalls a starter kit with 5 seed potatoes x three varieties (cant remember the names one was first early and two seconds.)

On order (Offer from Kitchen Garden) 10 pixie tubers (free), 10 Foremost tubers 10 charlotte tubers and 10 picasso tubers!

I'm really out of my depth.  I dont mind growing them and giving them away.

Main Q again how many and how big containers and sacks please,  at the rate I'll be supplying Sainsburys next year.  :shock:

Thanks xx

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: ....they are gonna have to be pretty small to get all of those planted!!!! :wink:

happy chick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 11:29 »
OMG, Karen!!!  :shock:

Wish you lived nearer, I've got lots of big( I mean big!) pots that you could have for growing them in.  The pots didn't work for me with tatties because I was too lazy ( :oops: ) to water them enough in the summer.  

I suppose get as many as you can either in the ground or pots when the time's right and then use the rest to swap with friends for different seeds maybe?  If you fancy a trip to Wilts for some large pots you're very welcome :D   expensive potatoes tho  :? !!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny
                                         - Tyron Edwards

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 11:37 »
Don't worry - you'll never get carried away and over order again!

Much. :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kagganz

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 11:40 »
So......you're saying I've gone a bit over the top???  :D

Thats me all over though 'All or nothing' !

I do have about 8 very large containers and 6 potato gro bags, you see I thought you had to plant loads together to get spuds!!

Going to have a read of my books after work and see what I can do (probably should have done that before methinks  :( )

Thanks gang mwaa xxxx

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 11:44 »
Self discipline is what's needed. I've cut down to 276 spuds for next year.

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 12:00 »
i paced out my garden veg plot and bought accordingly - one bag each of fe se and mc.cant remember how big the bags are - might be 3 kilo, the standard ones u get anyway

Kagganz

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 13:38 »
I've been saved I tell yer ....saved!!!!!

A lady I work with has a daughter who is a school teacher nearby and this year they have been 'growing their own' on some spare land that the school had, I have donated some potatoes to them!

But I still have to look after them till next year  :(  so I'll get them high up in the garage (I'm sure I read thats what you can do.

Thanks all xx

Poolfield2

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 13:42 »
Are you on a list for an allotment yet :lol:

Kagganz

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 13:51 »
No.......would you put ME in charge of an allotment!

I dont think so, I cant manage a teeny garden yet!!

:lol:

Kagganz

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 13:54 »
.........................and I darn't tell you how many seeds I've bought!  Cloches, fleece, feed,  tubs, fruit bushes, If I'd have done all my gardening shopping at Woolies they wouldn't be in the predicament their in now.  :shock:

happy chick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 14:14 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  you're soooo funny!  I think it's wonderful that there's someone out there who's worse than me in the restraint business  :shock:
Before you know it you'll have managed your garden and be wanting a lotty!  Then chickens.........then the smallholding  :shock:  it just never stops, until the money stops that is; but it doesn't stop me wanting; tee hee  :lol:  :lol:

Kagganz

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 14:25 »
I would love chickens (so would ratty rat though), do you have chickens?  :D

happy chick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 14:39 »
Yes and rats  :cry:  but the rats were here first so i though what the ****!But it all started with growing veg, especially when i found that it fitted in so much better with family life than my horses ever did ( :oops: )

No more spending hours at the yard, just all of us out in the garden pottering having fun!  When I was pregnant (son's now 18mths) i was able to let the whole thing go (we've got raised beds/greenhouse at bottom of garden behind a fence) ignore it and then restart when we were ready as a family again!  Couldn't do that with horses! I wasn't well last pregnancy; lots sickness, weight loss otherwise I would have been there digging and growing things.  Looking forward to this summer now the rotation is sorted and growing lots of things, and making it all look beautiful again   :D

Kagganz

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 15:21 »
Great!!  We'll be able to exchange tips, you could help me with my first year of growing with handy hints, and I could help you by telling you how many potato seeds and tubers NOT to buy  :wink:

I am so excited about Spring coming but also nervous that the year will fly by too fast and I end up not having done everything that I wanted to do.  I'm waiting for my greenhouse to be put up, I'm so excited about that.   :D

We still need a time for  garlicmoon time.

xx
Blight resistant spuds and spuds in buckets?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 16:36
by shokkyy
xx
Spuds glorious Spuds

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 22:18
by digalotty
xx
Spuds when to dig up?

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 18:58
by Poolman
xx
best spuds!!

Started by tali on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post January 22, 2007, 09:49
by Annie

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 35 queries.