New allotment

• 22 Replies

Reece

New allotment
« on: May 10, 2008, 20:06 »
Hi everyone
I've just joined the forum. As usual there's a reason and mines is:-

Locally there are no vacant allotments. My village, to my knowledge, has never had any. Other nearby villages have either sold them for housing or have no vacancies and have waiting lists. Not a chance of getting dug in in our area.  I've been reading the 1908 smallholders and allotment act (as well as the 1922,35 &50 acts) and decided the parish council may be duty bound to provide them. I've appproached the council who, I must say, have been quite positive about it but have said they don't need to consider providing until a given number of parishoners (they say 10 but I believe it's 6) request it. I've now got a list of 10 local families who would like an allotment and I'm about to present the request to the parish council.

Any advice would be very gratefully received  :? hopefull before I make any mistakes.
Give them a handful of seeds and you'll feed them for a day, teach them how to grow food and they'll be down the allotment nattering for ever.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
New allotment
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 20:15 »
Good luck with this Reece.  Which part of Kent are you in, I'm in Maidstone.

I've moved your topic to GYO.  I think it will get more responses in here.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
New allotment
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 22:36 »
Without looking at the text of the Act, I'm not entirely sure whether it applies to parishes as well as to local councils.

Assuming it does apply, under the Act, the requirement is for 6 people who are on the electoral roll.  Each has to write individually, I think you'll find.

Just a word of warning, don't get your hopes up too high.  Many councils and parishes just don't have the resources to buy land which is suitable for gardening.  Another avenue they may be able to follow is the s.106 planning agreement - requirement for developer to put money or land into recreational etc space.  

Good luck!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

gobs

New allotment
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 23:12 »
Also, they need to live in the same area without allotment provision.  :roll:

Wish you luck.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

woodburner

New allotment
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 23:25 »
I've just taken the last two plots in our village. :D The current sites had not been fully taken for 30 years, so I was surprised to hear that the pc already has land earmarked for more allotments! There is a possibility that your council also has suitable land already, just not used for allotments . . . yet ;)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Reece

New allotment
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 00:04 »
Many thanks fopr the replies so far.

Not getting too excited, it's too early for that, but at least it wasn't a "no". I recon we will meet a brick wall when it comes to finance so trying to get ahead of that. In the meantime I'll keep on with my 3ft x 6ft plot.

Thanks for the suggestion(s.106)

peggyprice

New allotment
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 07:52 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Also, they need to live in the same area without allotment provision.  :roll:

When you say 'without allotment provision', does that mean that allotments have to be available?  Or just that allotments have to be provided but if they are all taken tough luck?  And how do they define 'area'?

Four year waiting list in our local area, though some available in other parts of the city ... and I did have one a few years ago and gave it up 'cause I didn't have time to get it into shape  :evil:  :evil:
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

gobs

New allotment
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 10:13 »
It means either. The distance from what I remember is considered reasonable around 1 or 1.5 miles, but there are no rules about this, our council talks in Wards, which ward of town has or hasn't got sites or availability.

Reece

New allotment
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 07:21 »
In reply to peggyprice's question.

"When you say 'without allotment provision', does that mean that allotments have to be available?  Or just that allotments have to be provided but if they are all taken tough luck?  And how do they define 'area'?"

I believe the 1908 act says that the council must provide sufficient plots but also there is provision for them to assess the need and consider it against available resources and the other needs of the community.
Sorry, I'm no expert, just getting started on what I extect to be a long road.
My village has no allotments, some villager go to the next village, now there's a long waiting list there. Not fair to our nieghbours or those who can't travel the 3 miles so I'm trying to make a difference.

Best advice:  Be a pest to the council. Bug everyone all the time, but remember there is no time limit to how long they consider whether they make provision.
As my mum used to say "those that don't ask don't want"  (a bit worried about the rest of the saying "those who do ask don't get") But that's mum for yer.

All the best
Reece

niknik

good luck
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 10:29 »
Thats brilliant Reece I wish you lots of luck.  Did you watch Hugh FW with the group of people who got together with the council and got a piece of ground.  We've just got an allotment after being on the waiting list for 3 years.  So I hope all goes well.

titch

New allotment
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 10:35 »
Hi reece, we are in a similar position in our village - we had a mmeting last week and 30 people turned up, they all want an allotment, so we formed a committee, and the chair and sec are phoning around local people who we have been told own land, in the hope of maybe privately renting or doing it via the council.

its early days but who knows, good thing is they are a fiesty bunch who wont take no for an answer.

i too am excited by it all, despite it all being up in the air

keep going, find out how many people want it for sure - our next step is to petition the parish council

good luck
titch
just keep breathing................

compostqueen

New allotment
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 10:35 »
NSALG will have information on this and I'd check it out with them  :D

jono2507

New allotment
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 13:13 »
Good luck with this Reece.

In my job I deal with local councils across England everyday and I see complaints about all council functions.

My best advice is to go into this with realistic expectations and be patient, I see a lot of people who want everything 'now' and in most cases it's just not possble.

Also, the world of local government is such a minefield of legislation so be sure to do your research beforehand, you need to be aware of the processes and policies too.

At some point it may even be worth getting councillors and MP's involved.

Above all make sure you put it in writing!!!

Reece

New allotment
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 22:23 »
Lastest news is it's been too simple. Asked the parish council, submitted a list of 10 parishers requesting plots.
The parish council have been very proactive, are supporting the idea, have identified a site and have approached the land owner, all in 3 months. Whilst this is going on they are also looking for alternatives, just in case.
All moving on very nicely being pushed by the council (not me)and I've been told to expect a plot in the spring, originally I had planned for 5 years.
It must go wrong at some point but for now it looks too simple maybe because our council seem to want to give the villagers what they want. (I know that's going against the flow but that's how it appears)

Thanks for the support and I've keep you informed as things move on.

SalJ1980

New allotment
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 22:31 »
Wow, that's great progress Reece, congratulations and good luck!  :D
Sal

Organic...so far!

xx
My allotment

Started by durham_lass on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 01, 2007, 10:18
by sweet nasturtium
xx
We Got an Allotment!

Started by Matthew Gayles on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 05, 2011, 21:58
by Nikkithefoot
xx
New allotment help please

Started by Debbiem on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 01, 2010, 20:48
by Ice
xx
JUST GOT MY FIRST ALLOTMENT

Started by nickthegreek on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 24, 2009, 21:42
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 36 queries.