help need with my chickens

• 10 Replies

fastmonkey85

help need with my chickens
« on: December 27, 2009, 18:50 »
i have had my new chickens at home for about 2 months. I got them when they were about 20 weeks making them now nearly 30 weeks old. I am feeding them the same food as they were brought up on and done everything that i was told to do.
They have not laid a single egg and i am wondering if it is something that i am doing wrong. I have even tried to put fake eggs in their nest box to try and tempt them in to laying. Is it wish full thinking that they may lay soon or shall i have to wait for the warmer weather to come along in the spring?
Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved and many thanks in advance for readind this post

Alex Royall

karlooben

Re: help need with my chickens
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 19:13 »
what are you feeding them on ? also u may find that they will come into lay over the next month or so when the days start getting longer  :lol:
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 19:16 »
hi fastmonkey - welcome to this site ! alot of us arent getting many eggs at the moment - hens tend to stop laying or at least slow up when they dont get enough hours of daylight - this should get better once the days start to get longer, but as your hens would be considered to be point of lay (about 18 weeks onwards) they may well wait until spring to lay. ive got a girl who is about 40 weeks old and still waiting for her first egg! - tat is unusual though. i bought 3 point of lay hens in the summer and not had eggs from them yet.  what type of hens have you got?

iwantanallotment

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 03:26 »
I'd also ask are they hybrids or pure breeds? And what do you feed them daily?

Some of my girls have only recently started to lay, @ between 30-33 weeks old.
It does seem like waiting forever, but I now get 6 eggs a day from the 6 adults.

Mine are hybrids which do lay year-round, but you will find pure breeds tend to go off the lay during the shorter winter days, so if yours are pure breeds they may not start for several weeks yet.

Watch for them squatting down as you pass them - a sure sign that eggs are imminent   ;)

Poolfield2

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 08:42 »
Hold in there, they will lay eventually (as long as they are girls) and it is so special, worth all the wait. You will get tiny eggs to begin with and they get larger as time goes on.

Remember to come back and tell us when they lay and we love photos of the first egg :lol:

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 08:53 »
I agree with what has been said. Our girls are about 30 weeks old

IMHO feeding is the key particularly this time of year, our girls get Layer pellets first thing (in fact right now as I type), followed by a generous mix of cooked peelings  including kale cabbge and other greens , later a porridge mix with pellets in and as a final treat just before bedtime sweetcorn.  This does get varied according to what is avaiable and they also occasionaly get mixed grain instead of porridge.  They also have poultry spice once a week.

We are getting  at least one egg a day and usually 2 or 3

Hope this helps
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

kittyb

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 13:15 »
My chucks are between 24 & 30 wks and we get an egg from each most days now,including eggs from Little Dorrit our' Fenton Blue' who has been off colour for a few weeks with a cough and sneezles.did'nt think she would lay until the new year!

We feed them layers pellets and mixed corn & seed ,have tried cooked peelings and fresh peelings but absolutely no takers for some reason.
Does anyone prefer to use mash and can I ask why?

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 17:31 »
Our girls prefer the chopped cabbage and Kale but eat the potato peelings as well as this is dumped on to of the left over pellets thiose tend to get eaten as well.  Just athought is there oyster shell for your girls that may help as it will hasten shell production.

iwantanallotment

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 03:42 »
My girls have warm layers mash first thing (sometimes a teeny bit tooo warm methinks, as they sorta go "oooh heck!" as they peck) followed by lunchtime spinach and a handful each of corn at 3, to tide them over til morning  ;)
I do believe they only eat what they need, and that they do need that little bit more at this time of year. Any excess is always left behind, as proof that they don't pig out.
JMHO :)
I'm interested to know what your girls are fed fastmonkey, since you have stuck with the breeder's feeding plan but your hens may require more now?

viettaclark

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 19:08 »
I tend to give mash as well as pellets in the winter. My mash is pellets, oats, any supplements necessary and perhaps a little protein to add interest (mealworms, tuna, chopped up ham) because there are slim pickings in the garden at the moment. I mix it with water and microwave for a couple of minutes, stirring well. Should be soft but not runny and use a heavy bowl because they tip it up or walk through it! Because it's mainly pellets the hens get their food necessary for laying.
What I am noticing recently is their greens choice. Things they ignored in the summer are getting razed to the ground! They get greens that I grow just for them but I'm obviously not giving enough! (or they're just very, very naughty!)

iwantanallotment

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 04:37 »
Good point vietta, forgot to mention that there's always a feeder of layer's pellets out, too.

We can't treat them like kids and offer 3 meals a day - they feed all day as they need, and more so as they produce eggs. Poo the size of apples, omg  ??? So there must always be food available for them.

As for your point re greens, mine too! There isn't a fat lot growing in their enclosure at the mo, in fact nowt :(  So I give them chopped spinach every afternoon. There is grass in the mash I noticed, but not nearly enough I don't think, just the odd blade. Anyway, they go crazy for the greens, much more so than in summer. Clearly they need it.

I just accept that the birds know better than me what they need, so try to cover all corners  :)

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
New chickens

Started by Michael D on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 06, 2009, 15:35
by Happy Hens

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 38 queries.