New chickens

• 1 Replies

Michael D

• Experienced Member
New chickens
« on: September 06, 2009, 15:15 »
Hi all,
          I have just  recieved  20 chickens today.  point of lay,   i was going to keep them in  the hen house  for about a week  then let them out  to roam around the field i have.  The farmer said  it would be ok to let them out in the morning.  I think this is to early as i would  like  the chickens to lay there eggs in the house not in the field.  Any advice on this matter please.     Michael

Happy Hens

Re: New chickens
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 15:35 »
Hi Micheal  :)

I think if you let them out in the morning and they have alarge field to roam freely in then by by bed time I would expect that you would be hunting around for them. I know by past experiance you should only let them out into a closed of area to start and you still might be picking them up and placing them into their beds at bedtime. We have had the odd one or two which do go in from day one. But you wouldn't want to keep them shut up in a coop for a week unless it's very large and they have plenty of space to move freely 
       :D :tongue2: :D :lol: :D

Hi all,
          I have just  recieved  20 chickens today.  point of lay,   i was going to keep them in  the hen house  for about a week  then let them out  to roam around the field i have.  The farmer said  it would be ok to let them out in the morning.  I think this is to early as i would  like  the chickens to lay there eggs in the house not in the field.  Any advice on this matter please.     Michael
Happy Hens Make Garden Friends

xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
question
New to Chickens

Started by Zak Dingle on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2011, 10:25
by orchardlady

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 38 queries.