Growing Onion Sets

• 5 Replies

Broadhaven

• Experienced Member
Growing Onion Sets
« on: October 07, 2010, 09:12 »
I have had 2 years of growing autumn onion sets. The first year was not good so changed postition and this year they were slightly better, still not massive.
Just read on BBC gardening site that I should manure a couple of months before but as I want to plant them this weekend that isn't going to be possible. What else can I do to ensure my onions grow to the required size.

As a test I planted some in my daughters garden which the previous owners had used as a small veg plot and with little effort hers grew bigger then mine >:(....

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Growing Onion Sets
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 09:33 »
I just bung mine in and then give them a dose of chicken manure come spring when they burst into life.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JohnB47

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 10:51 »
My experience is almost identical to Broadhavens and I've been doing as DD says. I've had reasonable success at autumn planting but I wish I knew the answer to growing spring planted onions. I'm not expecting massive ones - anything over 2" diameter would be nice!

Broadhaven

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 11:19 »
Looking at the size my daughters got to with doing nothing I can only put it down to soil. Hers is rather fine where mine is claggy (if thats a word!!). Just dug it over now and will put them in at the weekend and keep fingers crossed. Thought about putting some grit in. What do you think DD???

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 11:25 »
You'd better ask an onion expert! I'm fortunate in that my soil grows good onions, so I've not have to experiment with soil structure etc. to find out what does the trick.

My soil, whilst not sandy is quite free draining and stone free apart from a random pebble.

solway cropper

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 22:30 »
Onions do like a good feed but if you can't bung on manure just give em a good dose of BFB before planting. My senshyu overwintered ones survived last winter and gave me bulbs weighing up to 1lb each. Like the others I just push my sets into the ground and forget about them, apart from liquid feeding once they start to swell.

xx
Growing Onion Sets

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 04, 2013, 19:10
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Onion sets not growing

Started by wilj1 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2020, 07:41
by Missey
xx
Japanese onion sets and container growing

Started by fatgit on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 29, 2006, 11:58
by fatgit
xx
Onion sets in modules growing too quick!!

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 30, 2014, 18:33
by Yana

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 38 queries.