Strange cumber

• 6 Replies

A Reyt Tayty

Strange cumber
« on: August 23, 2013, 09:23 »
The mystery cuke from ALDI is going great guns again. One cuke in particular is weird though. It's much thicker than the others. When I sliced it open, the seeds are really big when compared to the others I've had. Do the odd cucumber on a plant to this to give themselves a better chance of germination (stronger seeds)? I've saved some anyway ready for next year. Nothing ventured.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Strange cumber
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 10:00 »
My guess is that it has cross-pollinated with another cucumber - the plants you grow from the seeds next year might produce fruit better or worse than what you already have, although that's possible anyway given that you don't know anything about the genetic provenance of your mystery cuke either!

It's impossible to know in advance - I wouldn't be putting too much faith in them although it could be an interesting experiment.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 11:34 »
No one else within quarter of a mile growing cukes.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 11:40 »
did you just allow that one to get riper before it was cut?

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 11:52 »
Plant breeders have spent years making cuc`s less seedy so keeping seed from one that is reverting back to "natural"may be a step in the wrong direction ! ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 11:56 »
Cukes (and other cucurbits) need a separation of at least half a mile to "guarantee" no cross-pollination will take place, and even that's not a money-back guarantee!  :ohmy:

Mum could be right - leave another one to grow to the same size, although you still won't be 100% sure that one's not been cross pollinated too!  :lol:

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 18:25 »
This particular cuke began by setting off really thick at the end furthest from the plant. The rest never really caught up. Others which were more "normal" were of a uniform girth all the way through their growth. Now I have some growing really thick at the end nearest the plant and filling out towards the end as they mature. None are as thick as the cuke I'm talking about. The seeds in all the "normal" cukes are really tiny and would be difficult to save, the seeds in this cuke are at least 1cm long, 1/2 cm wide at widest point, but are fairly flat.

xx
It's a bit strange (pic)

Started by mr Isaccs on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 16:27
by Dave Mack
xx
What's strange about that?

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 23, 2018, 20:33
by Offwego
clip
Strange eggs

Started by Skinns46 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 03, 2016, 11:07
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Strange garlic

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 22:40
by gavinjconway

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 35 queries.