Waterlogged

• 1 Replies

mrs bouquet

Waterlogged
« on: February 03, 2020, 11:03 »
My front garden has a gravel path laid over matting.    It always holds the water with a big puddle.  Yesterday, I went and moved the gravel away,  and gently raised the matting with the prongs of a hand fork.   The water drained through the matting, but as soon as I lowered it, it puddled again.   This tells me that the problem is being caused by compacted earth underneath.     How to solve it -   Shall I move the gravel off and the matting and then get somebody to dig out whatever is underneath.   that will be hardwork and also need taking away  (too hard for me these days !).    Then it will need something else underneath.     
What do you suggest should be used, how deep should it go down, and what sort of person should I start looking for.?      The tradesmen around here are so prissy, it may be difficult.  ::)  Thanks  Mrs Bouquet
PS:  I have just looked it has now drained away, and has left a horrid, muddy black sludge.
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

jezza

Re: Waterlogged
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 20:25 »
Hello there's a couple of ways that might help there's a technique called ameliorating (Sub-surface irrigation)it uses a machine like a pneumatic drill that forces a  30inch hollow steel spike into the ground then compressed air is forced down the spike under pressure it lifts the soil causing fissuring and cracking the water goes away quickly  the other method is a  vertical hollow tine lawn aerator this will go down about 9 inches one run down the path should clear the water

xx
Waterlogged lawn

Started by Jeanieblue on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post February 28, 2007, 14:59
by ziggywigs
xx
Lawn waterlogged.

Started by gowing238 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post February 12, 2010, 14:10
by Roll Roll

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 38 queries.