hens laying eggs

• 13 Replies

goldnessy

hens laying eggs
« on: July 12, 2010, 18:17 »
i have two hens which will be 24 weeks this week and they still not laying eggs yet. should i be concerned if they dont start to lay. i was told to try some rubber eggs they said it should help them dont no if this is true

Kelloggs

Re: hens laying eggs
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 18:23 »
What breed are they? some are very slow to mature ::) I wouldn't expect mine to lay till  30 weeks +

goldnessy

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 18:25 »
 there is a light sussex and a brown sussex i was told they lay between 18-24 weeks but so far there is nothing

Kelloggs

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 18:45 »
I wouldn't worry to much, you will know when its getting near as their combs will get redder ;) and if they are anything like mine they will tell the whole world thats its nearly time :lol:

goldnessy

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 18:53 »
ok thanks alot for your help

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 08:02 »
I had a Light Sussex that didn't lay until she was over 30 weeks! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

GerryOB

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 08:07 »
I'm wondering if that's what mine are doing, as they seem to squark a lot.  They are 19 - 20 weeks old.  I have one white leghorn, who has the biggest/redest comb, followed by a copper black that has the next largest/reddest comb.  The other two are a coucou and a ranger, and their combs are not quite so developed yet, so I think they may be a week or so younger.  However, they all seem to squark in the morning once they have been let out for breakfast. They stuff themselves, then it's like a competition to see who can squark the loudest.  I really don't want to upset the neighbours and end up having to get rid of them, so in desperation, I use a squirty bottle and sit there with them for a couple of minutes, and if they make any REALLY loud noises, I give them a quick squirt, which usually shuts them up.  I figure it can't hurt, they get rained on and people are talking about dunking them in buckets of cold water to fend off broodiness etc, so a quick squirt can't do them any harm, it just lets them know not to make a racket.   I've taken to leaving the spray bottle on a chair near the coop as a reminder to them  :lol:  It seems to be working as they are actually quieter and just make general rosey noises now, which no one minds.  If they forget themselves and squark, a quick squirt usually reminds them to keep it down :lol:

Do you think the noise they are making could be because they are coming up to starting to lay?  Not had anything from any of them yet.

Many thanks!

Gerry

goldnessy

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 11:53 »
my brown sussex as been making the same noise for the past couple of days i,m hoping it is a sign of her starting to lay

carolbriar

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 12:07 »
I have a light sussex who is just about a year old now and she has not laid one single egg!  Every morning she goes and sits in the nest box and then comes out having had a nice quiet time and I go and check and there is nothing there.  She announced she had laid an egg one day - I was so excited I dashed in and nothing.  :(
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 13:45 »
Most of my pure breeds didn't start to lay until they were well past 30 weeks!  The only early layers I ever have are the hybrids. Amberlinsk usually start to lay about 24-26 weeks, but the Babcocks and Goldlines (now known as Bovans Browns) have started as early as 16 weeks!

evie2

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 20:06 »
My 5, now 22 weeks old still haven't laid even though when I got them I was told they were laying.  I got very excited at 5 o'clock tonight when the 'I've laid an egg' sound came from the coop but no egg.  I even hoped the sound of the neighbours hens would encourage them!  Just one egg would be nice  :(
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 09:24 »
My 5, now 22 weeks old still haven't laid even though when I got them I was told they were laying.  I got very excited at 5 o'clock tonight when the 'I've laid an egg' sound came from the coop but no egg.  I even hoped the sound of the neighbours hens would encourage them!  Just one egg would be nice  :(

It will happen it is early days yet :)

goldnessy

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 13:02 »
hello everyone.... it finally happened my brown sussex laid her first egg today after a couple of days of going on and off the nest. just need my light sussex to start laying now and then in a month or so my other five light sussex hens.

Sassy

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 18:40 »
Great! Don't eat it all at once!!!!

xx
hens just started laying but very small eggs

Started by Jenni on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 03, 2009, 18:58
by withnail
xx
When will hens start laying eggs again after haaving chicks

Started by christine641960 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 22:54
by christine641960
xx
Non-Laying hens

Started by Bwlboy on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 21, 2008, 21:24
by poultrygeist
xx
Hens not laying yet

Started by upert on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 08, 2011, 21:44
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 36 queries.