A big jobby

• 5 Replies

Bodger

A big jobby
« on: June 27, 2008, 07:01 »
We have some friends this coming Sunday. They are bringing one of their hoggets with them. A hogget is a sheep that is a little bit older than a lamb. We have undertaken to turn the whole of the lamb into sausage for them.
We've decided not to have all our eggs in one basket and try three different recipes. Watch this space, we have never made quite so many sausages in one go and have never used lamb before. :shock:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
A big jobby
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 09:06 »
Bodger, what skins do you use?
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Bodger

A big jobby
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 09:24 »
They are hog casings.
My OH gets them from the butcher next door to her clinic. She collected them on Tuesday and they seem to be a little more pricey than the last lot that we got from them. They come ready salted and then we soak them for a few hours prior to making the sausage.
I'm hoping that this slightly older lamb might have a bit of fat on it or I may have to add some pork fat from the last pig that we slaughtered. I'll have to check that we still have some, as I fear that the OH may have rendered it all down to feed to the birds in the form of bird cake.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
A big jobby
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 13:40 »
Cheers, we have been the collogen ones, bit chewy unless you cook for a good while.

Bodger

A big jobby
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 14:39 »
Our friend  turned up on our doorstep nice and early the other morning with 45lb of boned lamb from one of her hoggets that she'd had slaughtered especially for the occasion. :-) Our mission ? To turn it into scrummy sausage.
Now we've had numerous sausage making threads in the past, so I wont seek to bore you with the knitty gritty of what went into them but I bet you've not seen action pictures like these. :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  

First of all we cut the meat up into strips and ran it through the mincer. Our little sausage maker dealt with by far its biggest task to date admirably.  :lol:  

Then we added various herbs and not too secret mystery ingredients to the mix and put it through the sausage stuffer.

This is where the fun started.  :roll:  I'll let the pictures do the talking with just the slightest commentary from myself.

Kaz gives the instructions. " Listen carefully, I shall say Ziz only vonce"

Which end do you say I'm supposed to start at ?  :shock:  

You've got to be kidding me !

Eewk !

So its knit one pearl one you say ?

Don't talk now, I'm concentrating.

Do you know ? I think I've got the hang of this, its really quite easy  :lol:  

The morning went really quickly and we had a very humerous time, to say the least.  It was great to create  another happy  sausage maker :D
Here's the finished article, we actually made four different flavoured sausage.

Our friend has promised to test drive the sausages and report back.

SalJ1980

A big jobby
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 21:36 »
Wow Bodger, they look fantastic!  :D  Now I want a sausage machine too!  :lol:
Sal

Organic...so far!

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 38 queries.