A LITTLE ADVICE PLEASE

• 13 Replies

beansticks

A LITTLE ADVICE PLEASE
« on: January 17, 2009, 13:43 »
We recently bought a 4 stroke jenny,and used it for the first time last Saturday.It started okay and run for about an hour before it cut out.(run out of juice)Refilled it with unleaded but it would not start.Someone suggested we may have over-filled with oil,we checked the level and this appeared to be correct.Drained some oil off,but will still not start.Have cleaned the spark plug,and have checked it for a good spark.Unfortunately none of us are really technically minded.The make is Wolf.Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
A LITTLE ADVICE PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 13:51 »
Is there petrol getting through ?? can you smell it on the spark plug once you've tried to start it ?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

beansticks

A LITTLE ADVICE PLEASE
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 14:03 »
Yes,we have removed the plug several times and each time it has petrol on it.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
A LITTLE ADVICE PLEASE
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 14:06 »
and there's a spark ?? then I'd leave it for 1/2 with the plugs out just in case you have flooded it. Then try again, Gwiz is your man he will know far more than me, no doubt he'll be along

beansticks

A LITTLE ADVICE PLEASE
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 14:12 »
Thanks Rich,i think you are probably right.

shaun

A LITTLE ADVICE PLEASE
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 15:52 »
with it running out of juice it might have dragged some dodo into the jets
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Gwiz

A LITTLE ADVICE PLEASE
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 16:14 »
What type of engine does this have? It sounds from what you are describing, a four stroke engine, but I wonder what make......
How long after it ran out of uel, did you refill it and try to get it going again?
If the engine is one of those cheapy chinese made jobbys, It's also more than possable that the spark plug is kaput. It maywell spark when taken out and placed on the cylinder head, but it maywell break down under load. ( I had one do this to me some while back, and it had me scratching my head for an hour or so....)
Does the carb have a pimer bulb? or a fuel tap?, does it have a cut out for low oil level? ( you may have drained too much oil out!)

If you like, Pm me your phone number, and we can run through a few things over the phone....)

It's possable that you have dragged some debris into the carb when it ran out of fuel, but on a new machine with it's first fill up, this is less likely unless your fuel can is old and rusty..... :)

beansticks

A LITTLE ADVICE PLEASE
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 18:08 »
HI QWIZ,thanks for your reply,i will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.It is a 4 stroke engine,not sure of manufacturer.It was refilled within half an hour of running out of fuel.The plug shows plenty of spark outside of its housing(ie when held against something steel).Carb does not have a bulb primer ,but a fuel switch.It has a low oil level cut off mechanism,but the level is reading between low and high.The original fuel was a few months old when we first started it,but it ran okay for an hour before running out of fuel.The original fuel had been stored in a plastic container.We will try it again in the morning,if it fails to start i will pm my phone number to you.One anomaly exists,ie there is an on/off switch on the machine,the manual states this should be off for starting,however we managed to briefly start it once today,for only secondswith the switch in the on position,one of the guys moved the choke lever and it cut out imediately,and then would not start again.Any advice Qwiz would be greatly appreciated.

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
A LITTLE ADVICE PLEASE
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 18:18 »
Ive got a cheapy chinese job and the cut off switch is on backwards.  Had me scratching my head for an age until I worked it out. It also needs the choke on for about 3 mins when first started up.  Might be worth checking?

beansticks

A LITTLE ADVICE PLEASE
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 18:24 »
Thank you MIN all replies appreciated

Gwiz

A LITTLE ADVICE PLEASE
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 08:58 »
I was just thinking as I stirred my tea, some of these have a carb bowl fitted,that has a nut on the bottom ( for removal) and next to it, a screw ( for draining the bowl.
If you turn off the fuel flow into the carb, place some a shallow recepticle under the bowl, and undo the screw, you will drain out what is in the carb bowl. It might show some interesting "stuff" in it. I'm expecting dirt, or water...........
very often petrol stations sell you not only petrol, but water as well. :roll:
also, how old is that fuel you are using?
don't forget, feel free to to pm, if you need to..... :D

beansticks

A LITTLE ADVICE PLEASE
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 13:40 »
Hi QWIZ,many thanks for your advice,the carb did have a drain nut as you suggested,however after another fruitless 2 hours this morning they decided to return it to Aldi's.When we re-packed it ,the box was covered in sellotape,which suggests it may have been taken back before.I would be grateful if you could recommend a reliable machine for approx £200,that would produce 2500 watts.The one we took back was an Omega wolf/powercraft.Many Thanks

Gwiz

A LITTLE ADVICE PLEASE
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 15:47 »
what a shame you had to take it back, still, what with it being new, it sounds like it was a wrong'un.
As for recomending one under a couple of hundred, I'm not sure I can....
I'm not a big fan of the Chinese made "stuff". Not for any reason apart from the lack of spares back-up when things go wrong.
I've had numerous people ask me to try to source parts for some of this, low priced, equipment, and it's been impossible to do so.....
Screw fix often sell very cheap gennys, that might be a good place to start looking, or try another outlet like Aldi's, because if it doesn't work, you CAN take it back, without having to arrange postage ect....
I bought an old generator of of ebay, but for me it's not too much of a problem if it doesn't work..... :wink:
I think if the money was available, I'd go for something with a Honda engine. very reliable, you just can't fault them.
Good luck, and let us know what you get, and where from....

beansticks

A LITTLE ADVICE PLEASE
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 18:06 »
Thanks QWIZ,really sound advice,if its okay with you i will come back for more advice before committing to buying the next one.

xx
a bit of advice please

Started by jack russell on Equipment Shed

35 Replies
Last post September 08, 2008, 10:37
by cleverkitty
xx
Hoe Advice Please

Started by donald.cape on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post August 30, 2006, 18:14
by donald.cape
xx
Advice on best rotavator please?

Started by plum crumble on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post December 29, 2011, 15:31
by Trillium
xx
About to get a Polytunnel. Advice?

Started by Salkeela on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post March 18, 2009, 13:47
by gazvw

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 35 queries.