go compare

• 5 Replies

rowlandwells

go compare
« on: January 09, 2021, 13:10 »
this next season I'm going to try different varieties brassicas I've got several packets of cauliflower seed to see what performs the best on our ground because not had much luck with summer cauliflowers i did this trial with potatoes and found red varieties cropped the best on our plots better than whites for our main crop

but having said that i was told to try maris bard and marfona from a professional grower so I'm going to give them a try this coming season but I've also ordered desiree for my main crop just encase ;)

so do you do the same try different or new varieties of veg to see what's best for your  ground but  maybe your one that religiously keeps to the same varieties each year that have proven the best for your needs
interesting to here your opinions on this topic 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: go compare
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 13:30 »
I tried different varieties for a few years, but now tend to grow MOSTLY those that have proved themselves in my conditions.
Very occasionally something catches my eye, but I grow only a few plants of the new ones, along side the old favourites - 'til I'm sure they are an improvement (or not)

jezza

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 13:49 »
Hello we used to grow Veitchs self protecting cauliflower for out door summer production and a smaller variety Linda about as big as a tea cup for winter indoors grown on the 8inch by 8 inch square system ,we used it as a cash crop between taking tomatoes out in October and sterilising greenhouses in last week of February ready for lettuce in march   jezza

Ema

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 08:30 »
My first year on the plot I tried about 12 potato varieties, many were absolutely rubbish for me so now I stick to Charlotte. I love King Edwards for taste but found the crop small and often the slugs would get them.

I have also had a lot of tomatoes through the seed circle, I couldn’t keep up with which ones should be outside and which should be in a greenhouse, which I should pinch out and which should be bushes, so had mixed results. I loved growing all the different varieties but probably should have limited to 5 different types.

Caulis like alkaline soil, so it would be worth doing a soil test and amending with lime. They also like good drainage so maybe a raised bed depending on your soil. 

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 08:49 »
Hello we used to grow Veitchs self protecting cauliflower for out door summer production and a smaller variety Linda about as big as a tea cup for winter indoors grown on the 8inch by 8 inch square system ,we used it as a cash crop between taking tomatoes out in October and sterilising greenhouses in last week of February ready for lettuce in march   jezza

I like the idea of that little Cauliflower, the name is catchy too  ;) ;) I shall have a look & see if I can find seeds of it.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

jezza

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 11:09 »
Hello Snowdrops it was a commercial variety it might not be available now but theres  probably a garden variety that's the same we got seed in 3 pound bags ,that amount would keep you going for years,if theres a market garden near you see if they have any winter cauliflower plants , nowadays they're called miniature vegetables   jezza

xx
Photos to compare with ( cayenne peppers)

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 10, 2015, 18:00
by Headgardener22

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 47 queries.