2nd Sweetcorn cob

• 3 Replies

Ghost

2nd Sweetcorn cob
« on: September 08, 2017, 19:20 »
Hi

How long does it take for the second cob to be ready to eat after the first one? I've picked the first cobs. The tassels of the second cobs have gone brown a while ago but I can't see any kennels forming.

Thanks

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: 2nd Sweetcorn cob
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 20:48 »
Unfortunately the second (or third) potential cobs develop later and are also lower and hence further away from the tassels which pollinate them - the silks still go brown even if they've not been pollinated, so when it looks as if they're ready peel back part of the sheath to find out whether there's actually anything worth eating.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

victoria park

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 21:52 »
I find 2nd and third cobs on my sundance are rarely worth the bother, maybe 1 in 6. One can always pick them as stir fry baby corn 2 or 3 days after the silks appear. It's what some commercial growers do. The more corn planted, the easier to make that decision.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 22:00 by victoria park »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 14:06 »
I've just picked some of the last few cobs from my corn and there were a few worth eating, but I had some that hadn't really developed.  These were mostly the 3rd cobs further down the stem that I didn't have a huge amount of hope for.

I found an enthusiastic group of consumers though  ;)  A small white feathered person, who shall remain nameless, forgot all his manners and barged in without letting his girls have first pick.  They were not impressed  :lol:

IMG_2348 (480x640).jpg

xx
Sweetcorn.

Started by cacran on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 01, 2008, 11:06
by cacran
xx
Sweetcorn Help!

Started by Smudge on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post May 08, 2007, 17:09
by David.
xx
sweetcorn

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 12:13
by Kristen
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 28, 2021, 16:04
by cc

Page created in 0.454 seconds with 37 queries.