raspberry

• 8 Replies

bailey

• Experienced Member
raspberry
« on: March 07, 2010, 20:17 »
i have quite a few rasp canes that have become neglected, but i don,t know what variety or fruiting time as they seem to be in fruit for over a period of time from early summer to autumn..

would i be ok to cut the lot down to ground level?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: raspberry
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 20:25 »
If they fruit from early summer, they are probably a summer variety. If so and you chop them down you'll get nothing this year in the way of fruit.

I'd cut out any obvious dead wood or stems that show signs of having born fruit and leave the rest.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Cavolo Nero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 20:27 »
Mine are autumn fruiting, but I was only sure of that because when I took over the plot in december there were still a couple of decent fruit clinging to them. Id guess yours are summer fruiting then.
"If you want to be happy for a day, get drunk. If you want to be happy for a week, get married. If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, be a gardener." - Chinese proverb

DavidT

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 20:32 »
Bailey, cut out any canes that look silvery in colour, they have fruited. Leave the rest. This season make a note of which ones fruit in the summer and those which fruit in the autumn. :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 20:36 »
I'm assuming from the original post that it's not a mix of summer/autumn and a matter of seperating them, but that they all start fruiting from early summer.

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 20:39 »
Mine are autumn fruiting, but I was only sure of that because when I took over the plot in december there were still a couple of decent fruit clinging to them. Id guess yours are summer fruiting then.

They may still be summer fruiting as the new canes can produce a few berries in the autumn.

My summer canes even do this after the autumn ones have finished.

DavidT

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 20:44 »
But, as they are fruiting from summer into autumn, it also suggests that there could be at LEAST 3 varieties, early summer, mid to late summer and autumn. :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 21:16 »
Just to complicate matters autumn fruiting varieties which were not cut down in autumn can and do produce a small crop the following summer from those canes which still had enought energy left to do so!

I would go with DD's advice in reply #1 and DavidT in reply #3
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 21:46 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 21:18 »
Ive just found a load of canes behind my Bay tree in the garden that I forgot all about.  Thatll be a learning curve this year  :D

Expect this thread to reappear  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

xx
raspberry

Started by cAnAry53 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 20, 2012, 20:32
by gobs
clip
New Raspberry came

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2015, 20:03
by mdjlucan
xx
Which is the best raspberry?

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 15, 2020, 20:20
by Nobbie
xx
Raspberry

Started by geoffwales on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 26, 2016, 13:51
by geoffwales

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 39 queries.