Tomorrow the world!!

• 13 Replies

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
Tomorrow the world!!
« on: December 22, 2009, 08:26 »
The big mans come early to our house this year - we have put our names down on the allotment waiting list for Christmas (this could of course cover potential Christmas pressies for the next few years two depending on how long the waiting list is!!).
This year veg in the back yard, next year......... well, one step at a time eh?!
Very excited though!!
 :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Tomorrow the world!!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 08:34 »
Don't want to rain on your parade, but have you checked how long the list is?  In our area it is a long wait.  If you have a site near you it is worth popping in and getting to know the folks on there. We've got quite a few older plot holders who are finding it hard to keep a whole plot going and have let newbies take over bits.

Technically this is not allowed under most council rules so you need to be a bit tactful about it e.g. can I help to get some experience.  Sometimes you have to think outside the box a bit to get what you want  ;)

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 08:56 »

Norfolk:

Agree with NewShoot here - I was on the waiting list for 2 years+, but since I can walk to my plot, I often stopped and chatted with plotholders, got to know a few of them.
When I finally got a plot, I did know some people already, and got loads of help, advice etc.

Interestingly, I was the last person at our site to be offered a full plot (because I insisted!) and subsequently, the council have only been allocating half-plots, in an attempt to reduce the waiting list.

If you do get chatting to some plotholders, you have a good chance of "going in" with someone unofficially - there are at least three plotholders at my site struggling to keep a whole plot.

As long as the plotholder keeps their name on the agreement etc. and you agree to split the rent etc., I think the council will probably turn a blind eye, but I suppose strictly speaking this is queue jumping, so perhaps not to be encouraged?....

Phill  ???

madcat

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 09:42 »
Pesimists!!   :D  Or she could be really lucky like I was ...  and be offered a (half) plot 3 weeks later!   :ohmy:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 09:45 »
Cheers madcat! Thanks for the tips, yeah we know theres definately a wait, in fact we could have got a site straight away, but its the other side of town and in an area we dont know so well (ahem-so to speak?!) the one were down for is round the corner, safe etc.

In addition, while we would like one, weve no great rush: our youngest is still only two, if its a year or two then he'll be able to potter about with us (rather than pull up seedlings which is a speciality at the mo!) and we'll be able to try our hand at a few other things on a small scale in the garden to work out what we want to grow etc.

Pitching in with someone would be nice, but while we love our boys to bits, others might not appreciate their very gung-ho aproach to getting involved!

We decided better to wait to get something that works for us.

Happy to wait to get something that we want!

Elcie

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 10:41 »
That is a great attitude to have NT.  I was the same, didn't mind how long I waited, if you don't put your name down you will have to wait a very long time!  In the end I was lucky like MadCat and ended up with a plot about 2 months later.  A new clerk had been appointed and one of her priorities was to let all abandoned/unworked plots so I got really lucky with timing.  Otherwise it might have been years but you never know.

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 11:05 »
NT:

Brilliant and well intentioned attitude to have...

So good luck, and as my BH always says "what will be will be..."

P.S. My teenagers have never even been to my plot (4 min walk from the house!) so get 'em started early!!!

Phill  :) :) :)

savbo

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 11:11 »
wee tips for wee people -

we couldn't afford a playhouse so we managed to get a small freecycle shed for the plot that our 6 year old decorated and keeps her games/paints/teaset in...
we have set aside one 8x4 bed for her, with broken paving stepping stones around a central 2' circle of soil for easy digging with her mates, & got her to plant some of the few green things she likes eating (mange tout and parsley) plus sunflowers
got a couple of bulldog kids spades - the best!

result - one relatively enthusiastic mini-allotmenteer!
Good Luck!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 11:43 »
As long as the plotholder keeps their name on the agreement etc. and you agree to split the rent etc., I think the council will probably turn a blind eye, but I suppose strictly speaking this is queue jumping, so perhaps not to be encouraged?....

I'll just put the other side of the equation.

I manage a waiting list which is 2 years long and has nearly 70 people on it.  If someone is struggling to keep up their plot we'd be sympathetic but if the struggle is likely to be permanent, we'd encourage them to go down to a half plot. 

If, over time, they decide that they cannot continue with the half plot then they eventually relinquish it.  We do provide support for them whilst this is ongoing.  However, if they do give it up, that enables a second person to take on the second half plot.  Thus allowing two people who have patiently abided by the rules to get a plot at the fair time.

It is indeed queue jumping to help out and then take over the plot when the other person gives up.  It also means that the plot remains undivided so a) you get double what you'd be entitled to if you followed the rules, and b) two people already on the waiting list are waiting even longer.

I can of course understand the desire to have a plot as quickly as possible, but it's very selfish to queue jump and deprive others of what they are entitled to.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 11:51 »
Let's have a round of applause for Yorkie!

Well said.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 20:32 »
People asking for plots on our site are being quoted a waiting list of 8 years. There are very few full plots and this has been the case for a while. If any reasonable size plot comes up now the council divide it, but we have a few unofficial sharers and not all old/young split. We have plots with 2 families sharing and one 2 friends seem to be sharing. No-one is under any illusion that they will get that plot if the legit plot holder gives up. They are on the list with everyone else.

I wish though they would have 'try it and see' plot. We have had a lot of newbies in the last couple of years and at least 50% have abandoned plot after a few weeks and then it's running to waste all season. If people had a mini plot the season beforehand they could at least see how they went and whether they could cope with the work. A few of us have suggested it, but our council aren't that pro-active and don't seem to really care about allotments  :(  Your waiting list is lucky Yorkie that you do so actively manage it.

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 09:34 »
I bet thats a big problem new shoot -with so much in the press about waiting lists etc I wonder how many people are just signing up for one in the rush for 'the next latest thing' and then realising theyre not that bothered or dont have the time.

You see lots of 'less tended' plots for lots of good reasons, but I wonder if anyone else knows of this becoming a problem?

Maybe a 'taster' plot wouldnt be such a bad idea? Or maybe a training ground where you get a small bit for a year, if you like it and keep it up, only then you go on the waiting list?

Weve been toying with the idea for a year before commiting to a list and had the chance to try our hand on a (very) small scale in the garden, but its given us some in sight and the chance to do some homework.

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 11:13 »
it is exciting nonetheless - once the 1st stage has been done ie) getting your name added.

I put my name on 4 allotment sites just over a year ago - one was just within walking distance and the others were about 10 mins drive away. The waiting list on most of them was estimated to be 2 years or so but one of the others (private allotments) turned out to only be a 2 week wait before I heard back. However I was lucky with that one as I put my name down at the right time while they were expanding the number of plots by getting rid of pigs and chickens and the like. And that is the one I went for. Started with a half plot and within a few months graduated to a full plot.

Oh and courtesy and all that, I took my name off the waiting lists on the other sites.

So while you are waiting to work up the list, do look around and investigate putting your name on several plots nearby depending on where you want to have the allotment. I personally dont mind a short drive - it makes for a nice break, too, but I know some people want it to be almost on their doorstep.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 11:47 »
Oh and courtesy and all that, I took my name off the waiting lists on the other sites.

You star!

I could lose 10-12 people per year off my waiting list (and save myself the time and hassle of trying to contact them) if they had the courtesy to let me know...

xx
what to do tomorrow

Started by The Golden Heap on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 08, 2013, 20:48
by Wiltshire Worms
xx
jobs for tomorrow

Started by krystal on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 22:56
by suziet88
xx
So whatcan i sow tomorrow

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 23, 2013, 13:35
by Beetroot queen
xx
Weather tomorrow

Started by mrswashi on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 00:02
by mrswashi

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 30 queries.