spuds tops are small. planted them too close. what shall I do?

• 6 Replies

karooba007

• Experienced Member
I planted spuds too close. Mine came up amongst the first on the site but the tops are a third\half the size of the other plants on the site. One has started to flower. Is it still worth using firtilizer? or shall I just leave them and do better next time?

thank u

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Won't harm feeding them, but don't attempt to move then.

Why not try digging every other plant up to use as new spuds, as you want them, leaving the others space to grow on a bit?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
I think this will be a similar answer to the garlic question. I get the feeling your soil needs some added nutrients. How much compost and manure has been dug into the soil before planting?

karooba007

• Experienced Member
no manure or fertilizer. u see they say u don't need any if the soil hasn't be grown on before.  8)

karooba007

• Experienced Member
DD, I need a fertilizer that is quick releasing, one I can mix in a watering can right?
Yes was thinking of removing every other one as well. the size of the spuds will be significant right?

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Most vegetables are pretty hungry crops and I know that my first year of growing was difficult and most of my crops struggled to grow.  My plot had lain vacant for a while and althought the soil looked good it lacked nutrients so last year I added a lot more compost and manure as well as some slow release fertiliser (bonemeal) and the results were so much better. I think you might be having the same trouble.

karooba007

• Experienced Member
yes the same but in my case I messed up the soil as well. i removed the top layer of turf, the good stuff :nowink: and dug a little too deep mixing the clay layer. I made this mistake with the two beds a planted the spuds in. after two beds of doing it wrong I realised my mistake and stopped it, removing the top layer of soil and digging too deep.

xx
garlic planted too close and they are not doing well. what to do?

Started by karooba007 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 15:09
by Trillium
xx
Planted my spuds

Started by Iain@JBA on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 19:41
by Iain@JBA
xx
Planted My Spuds Today

Started by coatesi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 18, 2007, 09:28
by coatesi
xx
small hole in my spuds

Started by teabags on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 12:15
by paintedlady

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 38 queries.