Planted my spuds

• 27 Replies

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk
Planted my spuds
« on: April 18, 2009, 20:17 »
Got all my spuds planted outside today and it took less than 2hrs.
Should have some really good results.
This is just the first wave as I have more to plant out very soon. :D

Visit my website and view my potato blog and videos.

Yabba

Re: Planted my spuds
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 20:33 »
88 pots in 2 hours? ... damn, even I can plant faster than that ... mind you, that;s only cos I was late rotavating the beds last year and we had 6 hours to plant 700 dahlias .. this year I fully intend to get the beds rotavated a damn sight earlier ;)

¥

Elcie

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 20:34 »
I find it interesting that, as a seed potato merchant, you plant yours in pots.  Any reason for the preference?  So far mine are in pots but only because I don't want to end up with any volunteers next season and I'm not that good at digging!

Looks brilliant by the way!

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 20:46 »
I thought 2hrs was pretty good as I had to dig the trenches and mix the fertilizer in then carry all the pots out of the greenhouse and put in place and then give them a good watering :tongue2:

The reason they are in pots is because I hope to exhibit them this year and I want full control over how they grow. Each pot has its own measured fertilizer and calcified seaweed and just one potato per pot.
I grow 200 acres of potatoes the traditional way and thought this was really interesting after watching videos of other people doing it.
Just think how easy harvest will be. Chop the shaws off pick the pot up and empty it.
The compost mix can themn be re-used in flower beds and so on. :D
I have more information about this on my blog if you want to learn more.

Yabba

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 07:45 »
Good luck with your exhibitions, don't forget to take loads of photos of your winners, we like photos ;)

¥

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 10:21 »
Well I am not expecting to win but I will be interested to go along and compare my spuds with others. There are so many critical things to get right and some of these people have been doing it since before I was born.

Howard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 14:28 »
...The reason they are in pots is because I hope to exhibit them this year and I want full control over how they grow. Each pot has its own measured fertilizer and calcified seaweed and just one potato per pot.
I grow 200 acres of potatoes the traditional way and thought this was really interesting after watching videos of other people doing it.

Measured fertilisers, calcified seaweed, 17 litre polypots from LBS,... that Sherie Plumb, she doesn't half have a lot to answer for!  ;)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 14:32 by Howard »

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 20:48 »
Yes I watched the Sherie DVD and the Alistair Gray one and then just did what I thought was right. I have my own mixtures made up in those special little bags just to see the results compared to what the dvd says. I also have a control group that are exactly what was on the dvd. I find it really interesting.

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 20:59 »
Now I on the other hand spent many many hours deliberating on the best mix and way to plant my spuds.  After much reading and listening to the considered opinions of others I went for the......

"Dig a hole and pop them straight into the ground method"

So far everyone has stuck its foliage above the ground so I must have done something right :D :D :D

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 21:14 »
MIN200 quite often the simplest method is the best one :)
Hope you get a good crop.
Watch out for Frost tonight. Mine are under fleece.

Howard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 00:14 »

Yes I watched the Sherie DVD and the Alistair Gray one and then just did what I thought was right. I have my own mixtures made up in those special little bags just to see the results compared to what the dvd says. I also have a control group that are exactly what was on the dvd. I find it really interesting.

Iain, I do hope my last post didn't give you the impression that I was suggesting that you needed to watch what others are doing to produce prize winning potatoes - given that you're a commercial grower I'm sure you have a shedload of knowledge in that respect!

Ignoring the delightfully amateur way in which the NVS DVDs are produced, I've found them to be an absolute treasure trove of information - regardless of whether you are growing for showing or not - and along with Medwyn Williams' articles they have shaped my approach to veg growing this season considerably.

You mention that you have put together your own fertiliser combination, would this be something you would be prepared to share?  :)

Howard

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 00:21 »
MIN200 quite often the simplest method is the best one :)
Hope you get a good crop.
Watch out for Frost tonight. Mine are under fleece.

What, the whole 200 acres Iain????  that's a lot of fleece!!  Very interesting with the pot idea.  why do you trench as well then?  Must go look at your site!

iwantanallotment

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 00:30 »
lol @ min  :lol:
Me too actually, not much fuss - they each got a compost or rubble sack, compost and a wilted comfrey leaf. Can't be bad, cos I had to earth em up twice today, once this morning and again at teatime due to new growth :blink:

I'm also interested in Howard & Grannie's Q. Also, what exactly are they planted in, Iain (ie containers - they look 'softer' than usual pots)?

Howard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 00:31 »

...Very interesting with the pot idea.  why do you trench as well then?  Must go look at your site!

The polypots are set in a 4-6" trench which is bottomed with a forked layer of potato fertiliser and slug pellets (if you are that way inclined), which encourages root growth through the drainage holes in the polybags.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 00:34 by Howard »

Howard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 00:51 »

...I'm also interested in Howard & Grannie's Q. Also, what exactly are they planted in, Iain (ie containers - they look 'softer' than usual pots)?

It looks as though Iain is using the same as I am (and I'm sure he will advise if otherwise) - LBS' 12" x 11" - R-POT1825 17ltr Polypots

xx
Planted My Spuds Today

Started by coatesi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 18, 2007, 09:28
by coatesi
xx
spuds tops are small. planted them too close. what shall I do?

Started by karooba007 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 13:02
by karooba007
xx
Blight resistant spuds and spuds in buckets?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 16:36
by shokkyy
xx
What have you planted already?

Started by sarah-king on Grow Your Own

110 Replies
Last post March 10, 2010, 09:27
by Dill The Dog

Page created in 0.418 seconds with 38 queries.