Last girl left alone

• 2 Replies

gracie

• Experienced Member
Last girl left alone
« on: May 28, 2020, 21:08 »
We sadly lost Esmerelda this week at the grand old age of 9 years. We are left with Molly an ex batt who is now 5 1/2 years old and laying daily. We have decided to no longer keep chickens as all our original chickens lived to a good age, (they have a lovely garden and run) and obviously are happy living with us and don't feel we can commit for possibly another long period as we no longer have anyone to look after them when we are away.
 We don't live close enough to anyone to help out and our neighbour is too old to help now, only due to not being steady on his feet to come round.
I just don't know what to do with Molly, I would love to keep her as she is settled. Do I just gauge by her behaviour if she is ok eg not laying, not running to me for nibbles? I even joked with my son today do I tie some cuddly toys in the coop (its a good size) so she can cuddle up to something soft at night?
Any tips and experiences will be really appreciated.
I have just added a photo so you can see Esmerelda (RIP) - white and Molly
43D85B51-BE9F-43AB-94FB-07387315B10C.jpeg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Last girl left alone
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 11:50 »
That is a tricky situation.  Molly is a good age for an ex-bat and might not last too much longer herself.

If she is unhappy, she will act anxiously, pacing the run and calling constantly as she will be looking for other chickens.  She may be fine as she knows you and she sees you as part of her flock.

My oldest chicken died recently.  She moved herself out to the granny annex and away from the rest a few moths before she went.  They are in a big walk in run and there was an empty Eglu and run on the lawn with the run gate open.  She just moved in and complained until she was let into the coop, then refused to go home.  She could see the others, but didn't want any more contact than that.

See how she does.  You could always advertise on Pre-loved or Pets4Homes for an elderly hen for company if you need to.  I am sure someone would have a bird they were happy to move on  :)

grinling

Re: Last girl left alone
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 22:02 »
Sooty has been on her own for nearly a year. She will follow me if loose in thee garden and runs out to her run extension to see me. I will drop ant eggs and woodlice and any grub I find and she clucks like a broody hen. She lays quite thin shelled eggs, but is quite happy.
I will not be replacing her as I have a dog who is enthralled with her. Sooty is about 7

xx
One down six left

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 17:22
by Helenaj
xx
5 days left

Started by jonandjen16 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 20:41
by Jellyhead
xx
just two boys left

Started by sue anne on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 10, 2008, 14:37
by NormandyMary
xx
fridge or left out

Started by corkee on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 20:58
by Junie

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 40 queries.