How can I help the boys get along together?

• 4 Replies

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
« on: December 22, 2007, 21:31 »
Any ideas as to how I can reduce the levels of testosterone in the hen run?

I have a beautiful young cockerel Buster, gentle with the girls and us but...a war has begun between him and a young male peacock who thinks that he's top cockerel and the girls are his! There is also another smaller cockerel and he just gives Buster a wide berth, the peacock ignores him and he just nips in to grab a girl whenever he can!

All has been fine until now between peacocks and chickens...but the hens raised the peacock and he is very protective towards them and they of him. Last summer he was very "amorous" towards a couple of his favourites, they seemed unconcerned at being completely covered..they just shook themselves and wandered off rather bewildered!  

This Spring Buster, the cockerel, was born and he too loves the girls...yesterday war began and the pair really meant business. Poor Buster had a claw pulled off but still went back for more. We had to get him into the small run and he still paced about as Tut, the peacock, paced around outside the run.

Once Buster was in bed, Tut lay completely exhausted under a tree before roosting. Today we were going out and Tut was not his usual self so I left Buster with some of the girls in the small run so as to keep them apart, but I want to let him out again soon.

Has anyone any ideas re-how to help these two boys get along? Tut has his own peahen but he likes the hens better! There must be a way to help these two tolerate each other...does anyone know how? I can't keep Tut confined as he's always lived free and spends most of the day in the large hen run. I also want to let Buster roam free with all the girls....Help!!

Judi

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 16:00 »
:D Well today we moved the elecric netting to another area and Tut and Buster were busy exploring the new area. They did a bit of that side-dancing but kept a respectful distance apart. Fingers crossed that their fight taught them to maintain a healthy respect for each other! Buster is definately a little more cautious so maybe they've sorted it....?

Judi

Selkie

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 16:04 »
Hope they will sort out their differences!

WG.

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 06:12 »
I thought this might help ...

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 16:41 »
:D  :D  :D
WG...love it! I think peacocks are actually all talk and trousers!!

Anyway so far so good, Tut follows Buster around a bit but Buster isn't taking the bait so today all was peaceful again!

Thank you!

Merry Christmas,

Judi

xx
Bad boys

Started by slowef on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 10, 2007, 17:11
by Selkie
xx
Are my chicks boys?

Started by Bev on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post November 05, 2011, 20:23
by Bev
clip
Boys or Girls?

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 17, 2013, 19:47
by ANHBUC
xx
How can you tell the girls and boys...

Started by raeburg on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 18, 2008, 17:48
by raeburg

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 35 queries.