Bugs attacking my baby rhubarb seedlings

• 4 Replies

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
Bugs attacking my baby rhubarb seedlings
« on: June 08, 2009, 10:58 »
i've been religiously doing a bug rub on the undersides of my baby rhubarb seedlings for the past four days.

Can anyone advise if its too early to give them a squirt with a bug gun yet - wouldn't want to kill the seedlings having got the little beauties this far. They are only about a month old.

Seems to be greenfly laying in quantity plus the odd black fly (its not feeding on greenfly layings is it?)
Thanks
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 11:15 by barney rubble »

Trillium

Re: Bugs attacking my baby rhubarb seedlings
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 15:20 »
I'm surprised that anything is bothering rhubarb. First, I'd address just where you have the seedlings placed. Is it too moist? too shady? too close to something greenfly normally loves?  Obviously there's something close by which the greenfly loves so I would move the seedlings to another area after you get rid of them.

At this young stage, I'd just use a regular soap and water treatment on both sides of leaves just to get rid of the pests, and gently scrape off any egg clusters you can see. Once you think you've removed all pest signs, then move to a new location which is hopefully free of the usual attractants for greenfly. Hoverflies love them so perhaps a spot where the former seem to gather.

barney rubble

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 15:56 »
Thanks Trillium

The funny thing is they are in the best spot in the house - open with full light and sunshine when it shines. Nowhere near the tomatoes which the greenfly haven't touched, nor have they seemed to be on any other seedlings or young plants. Perhaps they just like young tender rhubarb leaves (can understand them not wanting the gnarled old ones!)

When you say hoverfly are we talking midges here or something else? I've got plenty of midges in the evenings

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 16:09 »
No, not midges.  Hoverflies are larger and look like bees or wasps (just looked for pictures with google images and there are apparently lots of different sorts that look a bit like different species of bee - I never realised!) but don't sting.  You can see them quite clearly hovering still in the air, then darting about.

barney rubble

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 17:09 »
Oh yes - thanks HLS - just looked at the wiki poster and sure some of those are round here (thought they were bees or wasps too!!!)

Will still keep up my bug partols tho - don't want to lose my babies having got so many of them this far  :) ;)

xx
bugs on brocolli and other seedlings

Started by sanuka on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 31, 2008, 10:11
by sanuka
xx
unknown bugs on my rhubarb

Started by hammers07 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 12, 2007, 22:23
by Aunt Sally
xx
what's this fungus attacking my tom's

Started by Fat Hen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 23, 2007, 17:43
by Fat Hen
xx
What's attacking the radishes?

Started by BabyStar on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 22:36
by MichelleC

Page created in 0.376 seconds with 36 queries.